Thursday, July 08, 2010

Just Peachy! Part Two, Quick Fresh Peach-Tomato-Cucumber Salsa

peach, tomato, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro

See all that stuff there? Go gather it up. I'll wait.

*tap, tap*

Oh, OK, I'll tell you what it is. Unlike yesterday's Peach-Tomato Salsa recipe, this one, using all raw ingredients, is virtually instant. Seriously, you can have it on the table in minutes from start to finish. Do NOT leave out the cucumber. I'm convinced that is what gives it its bright, fresh taste...it tastes like summer.

Fresh Peach-Tomato-Cucumber Salsa

Equal parts of the following, chopped (for measurement purposes, we'll call it a cup each):

Peaches, peeled and pitted
Tomato, cored and seeded
Cucumber, partially peeled

And:

One medium Vidalia (or other sweet) onion, peeled
One medium bell pepper, any color, seeded
2-4 fresh jalapenos, seeded
A handful of fresh cilantro, to taste
2-4 cloves garlic, crushed then chopped

And:

Lime juice, just a bit
1-2 Tbsp honey, or more to taste
A splash of white wine vinegar (this makes a huge difference)
1-2 tsp ground cumin
Salt to taste

Instructions? Combine all ingredients.

this is as much as I chopped stuff, because I just puree it anyway

Just like before, it's up to you whether you chop or puree. And just like before, if you want it to be gorgeous, you'll chop everything uniformly. The colors are just beautiful. But if, like me, you like pureed salsa, or, like me, you are lazy, you'll just load everything into the food processor or blender and let 'er rip. Adjust the seasoning ingredients to taste at the end, adding anything you think might give it your own personal zing.

you needa eat that

Then, you needa EAT THAT. I am not kidding when I tell you that Alex and I put away the first batch all by ourselves, in one sitting, in bed with a giant bag of tortilla chips and an awful movie. And it makes at least a quart. It's that good.

3 comments:

  1. i'm so glad yer back! and with delicious recipes to boot. hooray salsitas! and hooray you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belinda, yes, I do use farm-fresh eggs. However, I do not raise them MYSELF. And because--so far--I have not been privy to exactly what is done to the eggs from the time the hens have laid them, I prefer to refrigerate...just in case the bloom is no longer intact. An egg that has had its bloom removed absolutely DOES need to be refrigerated. http://www.suburbanchicken.org/eggs.htm
    Otherwise, you are right. Leave 'em out! One thing I'm looking forward to when we get our homestead!!
    By the way, this salsa sounds delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that's why I said "if they have NOT been washed." Cheers!

    ReplyDelete