Wednesday, September 09, 2009

It Was Supposed To Take Longer Than This

...For her to be smarter than me. Still just 6 years old, for another month or so, and in the second grade now, *sniff*, and demonstrably smarter than me. Just a couple of recent examples:

While playing World of Warcraft together (in the desert zone of Tanaris, for you fellow geeks--er, WoW players), I get owned for the 10th time by one of those giant basilisks, and complain to Bella, "These big lizards keep stunning me, and I can't move!" To which my daughter responds by looking at me as if I've gone quite daft, rolling her eyes, and saying, in a tone that should be reserved for very small children or adults who have suffered brain trauma, "Well, Mom...they are called 'Petrifiers.' So...that's kinda what they do."

Ouch.

And then, there's this.

sushi in bed, bad movie, perfect Valentine

This local restaurant that we love features sushi and bulgogi as its main menu items. One day, Alex's mom meets us for a lovely dinner there. While we're driving over, we're speculating on the origins of the place's name, "Kopan." That exchange went something like this:

Dense Parent 1: "Do you know what the name means?"

Dense Parent 2: "No, I don't...I know that the place in North Little Rock, Kanpai, gets its name from a toasting word--I saw people raising glasses to each other and saying it somewhere."

Dense Parent 1: "Kopan...it could be the name of a town or something."

Dense Parent 2: 'I don't know. We should ask the waitress."

A small voice with a slightly superior air rises up from the back seat.

Bella: "Well, bulgogi is Korean food, and sushi is Japanese..."

Dense Parent 1: (condescending and indulgent) "That's right, Honey."

Bella: "Get it?"

Dense parent 2: "Get what, Sweetie?"

Bella: (heaves sigh) "KOrean...JaPANese...see? KO...PAN. KOPAN."


*crickets*


Me: "I'm sorry...did a SIX YEAR OLD just figure that out before any of the rest of us?"


I'm still a little stung, so tonight while she was at GAs at church, we had sushi without her.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, they'll get you, the little ones. When mine was about 4, in the slow computers on dial-up days, the boy and I were watching a progress bar, and you know how when you watched them, you get to where you can't tell if they're moving? And, back in those days, you didn't restart things like that lightly, you had some *time* invested. "I don't know if it's frozen," I say, and he gets that, you know, that "I know something you don't know" look, and he quietly guides the mouse so the cursor is right at the edge of the progress bar, which quickly proves beyond a doubt it's not moving. Well, duh, mom-who-works-on-the-internet-for-a-living. Just, duh!

    But the Kopan one, that beats the mousecursor one. And me, too. I wouldn't have got that in a million years.

    I hope that Bella is a benevolent ruler, when the time comes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Revenge thy name be Sushi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back!

    And yes, I had two very bright daughters. Still do, but they're adults now, so I no longer "have" them, if you catch my drift. The first time they pull a Kopan on you, first you're stunned and then you're proud.

    It quickly becomes annoying.

    But still, it makes you proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap. I don't have much time. Mine are five.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've missed the updates about Bella. Glad to see you are back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww I miss stories about you guys. Hope all is well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for a Bella update!! I miss these terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little smartypants. You need to take her everywhere. And then educate me from what she says!

    ReplyDelete