Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Transmogrified

Bella's on spring break from school this week, and additionally, is a little sick with a touch of bronchitis-type stuff. So, as you can imagine, we're scrambling for indoor activities for her, and she's not so much on board with Mommy's Super-Fun Laundry Blowout Extravaganza. Smart kid.

During the feverish days, she spent hours in the middle of our big bed, reading from The Complete Calvin & Hobbes. She also spent a lot of time on the floor of my closet with her markers, paper, and huge dry-erase board, which is pretty typical for her.

As a longtime Bill Waterson fan, I was delighted beyond belief when my own six-year-old came rushing excitedly into the living room, carrying a large cardboard box, and announced, "I made a transmogrifier!"

It was, indeed, a pretty faithful rendering of Calvin's trusty space/matter manipulator, with "Transmogrifier" written on the side, and on the top, a dial, bright yellow construction-paper indicator arrow, and a "start" button. I think the settings on the dial of this particular transmogrifier are a nice snapshot of my daughter's current state of mind. There are eight of them, and they go in this order, clockwise:

Fairy
Princess
Fairy-Princess
President
Prince
Ruler of the Universe
Super-Hero
Smartest Person in the Universe

I love how "fairy princess" is obviously a wholly different entity than either "fairy" or "princess," and I'm kind of hoping that "Prince" might refer to the diminutive performer from Detroit. I'm just not going to ask, and pretend that it does. And I did check, and the "President" setting does not turn you into Barack Obama, but it makes you president yourself. I'm under the impression, however, that when you become President, you get to keep the Obama family (this child desperately wishes for siblings, and is also completely and totally enamored of the Obama sisters).

My favorite part of the whole thing, though, is the implication of that final setting. Because it's obvious, even to a six-year-old, that the Ruler of the Universe is NOT going to be the Smartest Person in the Universe.

9 comments:

  1. Please, please, please tell me you have a photo of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, since there was no "artwork" involved, I didn't think to take a picture, but it's sitting in the living room still, so I guess I could! Pretty standard brown book-box with writing on it. The only thing colorful is the yellow arrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My just turned six year old boy spends hours a day with his Calvin and Hobbes books. He thinks he IS Calvin at this point. I couldn't believe it the first time he used transmogrify (correctly!) in normal conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is begging to be on youtube. Have Bella explain the functionality of it and flim it on your Flip. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prince is from Minneapolis, love, not Detroit. From your friendly Wolverine up in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OUCH! Good catch, Robin. Do I have to watch "Purple Rain" again, in penance?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belinda~~ Join us for a trip around the world in which we discuss the things we love about being a mother. You've been tagged!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you through BYC - very funny stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just hatched (4 days ago) almost two dozen eggs. In the bunch I had some (3) Black Copper Marans that I bought from a legitimate source. I saw her birds and she explained the blood line - but I am so new to this I can't remember all that she said. Anyways - I ended up with two hatching and they both look different. They are both have the traditional markings but one has an auburn tint on it's head and more brown in the tiny feathers on it's wings that have just started to form. At first I thought this must be a rooster, but I am totally guessing. Do you know what this chick's markings mean?

    ReplyDelete