Thursday, August 28, 2008

Starting Kindergarten

This was the scene last week, as Alex, Bella, and I waited outside her new school--ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, Bella would specify--for the doors to open on the first day. The first day of kindergarten. Wow. I swear it seems like it's only been about a year since she was standing up for the first time, grinning that toothless grin beneath a nearly-bald head, and all of a sudden, she's wearing a backpack and standing on the sidewalk outside an elementary school, clutching a getting-started-bribe of watermelon pickles for her teacher.

waiting for the school to open, first day of kindergarten

She almost didn't let us go with her that first day. After the school's open house earlier in the week, when the principal was instructing weepy parents on how to leave their weepy children on their first day at school--that they should say goodbye and leave quickly, then go to the school's library for a "Boo-Hoos and Bagels" breakfast, so as not to break down in front of their children or give their children the chance to break down more than they surely were going to anyway--MY daughter leaned over and said, to me, "Um, Mom? I think you can just stop the car in front of the school, and I'll just hop on out and come in by myself, OK?" We had to negotiate for the right to at least walk her in to the classroom ONE TIME. We had to promise not to hang around too long, though, and to do any crying in the library with the other parents.

Once we got to her classroom, Bella wasted no time in cozying up to her new teacher, warming her up with some jokes and giving her a gift that "we made ourselves!"

warming up the new teacher with a joke, obviously

She had delighted in picking out her own comfortable clothes to wear that morning, remarking more than once that we should give her old private preschool uniforms to "some other poor kid" who had to go to that school. It was heart-warming seeing her so happy and at ease in this new place, and she settled right in to her place, practically giddy to be there.

all in our places with bright shiny faces

She went right to work on the project in front of her, promptly ignoring her father and me.

work to do

We were able to talk her into one goodbye hug for each of us, thankfully.

indulging mommy

hug from daddy

She sat back down at her place, and her father and I watched her for several more minutes, waxing sentimental (look, she is our only child, and this is the only time we'll have this experience, so give us a break), until we got this LOOK--the look that plainly said, "Hey, guys? I got this. You can GO, NOW."

I got this.  You can go now.

So, we went. And despite all the sobbing parents out in the hallway, we held it together. We skipped the whole "Boo Hoos And Bagels" experience. We were proud of the independent, fearless, confident little character we'd somehow produced, and we left her at school with no concern whatsoever for whether she'd be all right, but with considerable pangs of sadness for ourselves, and our own loss of our wee little baby.

And then, outside the front doors of the school, inexplicably, there was a giant anthropomorphized wiener, obviously sent from above to let us know that everything was going to be OKAY. Or sent from Sonic to remind us that hot dogs are tasty. Whatever. A good omen is a good omen. Don't look gift-wieners in the mouth, people.

Because nothing says, "Welcome to Elementary School" like a giant anthropomorphized wiener.  From Sonic.

31 comments:

  1. " clutching a getting-started-bribe of watermelon pickles for her teacher."

    Which looked for all the world like a big ol' cup of Starbucks at first glance. I think I can see her future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She seems ok with school now, but wait until that serious stuff starts, like algebra (I'm still amazed I made it this far).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided this year it wasn't a good idea to follow my daughter into 5th grade for the traditional at your desk first day photo.

    Enjoy it while it lasts.

    P.S. Why have I never seen your blog before????

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a touching post. The moment you left, a classmate likely leaned over and asked, "Are you famous? What was with the camera crew?"

    One question: why pickles?

    I'm sure I'll be an emotional wreck when my son (who is only 16 months old) goes to Kindergarten.

    By the way, I found you via Flickr, when I happened on your Charlie Brown Thanksgiving picture (which I used on my blog today and credited you). I just want to say hi and that I enjoy what I've read so far on your blog. You'll quickly become a regular read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belinda~~~ Wow! She has grown into a mini young lady! She looks so completely at ease in all the pictures. That's the best you can hope for when you send them off to "big school" for the first time.

    Good job Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, Bella! I can tell it's going to be a fabulous year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bella is awesome. But this is no surprise.

    Also, I am terrified that a gift weiner HAS a mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Arianna was totally the same way.

    Just a "Bye mom. You CAN leave now." and an impatient wave towards the door.

    Nothing like having 30 year old 5-yr-olds...

    ReplyDelete
  9. To have such confidence! Wow, I hope mine has that when she strikes out for the first time next Friday. And I'm really hoping I've got a big wiener to help me not cry too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i thought the gift looked like coffee as well ;-) .... thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad I'm not the only one who say a latte in that jar of pickled melon. Not sure what that says about us all.

    Also, you cannot pass up a well-placed wiener. The timing. Wow. The poor individual inside that...wow. Given your daughter's confidence, I'm guessing you won't have to worry about her growing up to be the wiener hanging out at the first day of school. Hm, that came out wrong. I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When my kids started kindergarten , lo there was weeping and gnashing of teeth. From all parties. I'm glad it was at least easy for Bella, and clearly she's already the teacher's pet. BTW, since she can read so well, sometimes teachers will send kids to other grades, just for reading. Or the TAG teacher might do reading with her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is fantastic that Bella was so ready and did so well. I love her confidence!

    Sweet Pea started kindergarten as well, this Monday, but since she's back at the same school with one of the same teachers and some of the same kids (Montessori school - she's in their Primary program, which means a 3-5 year-old room), it was an easy slipping back into the old routine for her. I'm terrified (for my quiet, observant daughter) of putting her in a big scary public school so *whew* that we were able to put that off for one more year. :o)

    But Bella - no problemo! Looks like she's got it under control already!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love your Bella! I remember when my daughter told me I didn't need to walk her to the bus stop any more. Yes, in kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bribing the teacher - good moves! In fact all round good moves. Proud parents, you must be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha, I thought it was Starbucks, too. I hope it doesn't take too long for them to advance beyond coloring an apple. Your precocious beauty is going to be bored. I suspect she'll be having a thing or two to teach the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phew, I am glad I am not the only one that thought she was clutching a Starbucks. I am sitting here thinking 'Man, they start them early in the U.S.!'

    And that look? Get used to it babe. It gets more and more frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, sweet story! Your daughter looked so confident. How proud you two must be :)

    My girls go back to preschool this week. I think the oldest one, who just turned four, is ready to explode she is so excited.

    Congrats on the nice send off!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the photo of her giving the pickles to the teacher. What a cute outfit! Congrats on getting through the first day of kindergarten :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally thought it was Starbucks. Yay to Bella for Kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK, Wiener Man is really freaking me out. I don't know that I could ever walk out that door again, knowing that he might be lurking nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So, I went to walk arianna to school today, and she was all "Why are you walking me? I don't need you to walk me."

    I said "Because you have a few things to carry, and we need don't know where your classroom is."

    Her response? "I can find it. You don't need to go."

    Needless to say, she didn't win out...but, as we walked to the front door, she noticed all the parents going to and from and was horribly incredulous. "What? Is this PARENT day, or something??"

    I swear, she's like ready to be emancipated at 8.

    ReplyDelete
  23. err...that was supposed to be "We need TO know where your classroom is"

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww I can't believe she started Kindergarten already! Where the hell have I been? Heh. Well, I thought it was a cup o starbucks too, just so you know. Which made me laugh, but not as hard as the big weiner!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad you recognized what a good job you've done in raising a confident, independent girl. Who also happens to be just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, what a beauty and so poised on her first day of big girl school! I can still see that little pipsqueak posed on the 6-9 month PCA podium in her pink, poodley best! How fast she's grown up. You and Alex are doing a marvelous job. Give yourselves a big hug, and a honkin' jar of pickled watermelon. (oh, wait...your celler's bustin' with them!)
    -Barb 'n Yogi

    ReplyDelete
  27. A片,aio,av女優,av,av片,aio交友愛情館,ut聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080聊天室,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,情色視訊,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,視訊,免費視訊,美女交友,成人交友,聊天室交友,微風論壇,微風成人,sex,成人,情色,情色貼圖,色情,微風,聊天室尋夢園,交友,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊辣妹,一夜情

    情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購,A片,視訊聊天室

    免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

    A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX

    情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

    av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室

    情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

    ReplyDelete
  28. A片,A片,成人網站,成人漫畫,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人

    a片,色情影片,情色電影,a片,色情,情色網,情色,av,av女優,成人影城,成人,色情a片,日本av,免費成人影片,成人影片,情色a片,sex,免費a片,a片下載,免費a片下載

    情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣

    A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖

    視訊聊天室,辣妹視訊,視訊辣妹,情色視訊,視訊,080視訊聊天室,視訊交友90739,美女視訊,視訊美女,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,視訊交友,情人視訊網,成人視訊,哈啦聊天室,UT聊天室,豆豆聊天室,
    聊天室,聊天,色情聊天室,色情,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,柔情聊天網,小高聊天室,上班族聊天室,080中部人聊天室,中部人聊天室,成人聊天室,成人,一夜情聊天室,一夜情,情色聊天室,情色,美女交友

    ReplyDelete
  29. A片,A片,成人網站,成人漫畫,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人

    a片,色情影片,情色電影,a片,色情,情色網,情色,av,av女優,成人影城,成人,色情a片,日本av,免費成人影片,成人影片,情色a片,sex,免費a片,a片下載,免費a片下載

    情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣

    A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖

    情色視訊,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友90739,視訊,免費視訊,情人視訊網,視訊辣妹,影音視訊聊天室,視訊交友,視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,成人視訊,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,小高聊天室

    6K聊天室,080中部人聊天室,聊天室交友,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,情色聊天室,AV女優,AV,A片,情人薇珍妮,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖

    ReplyDelete
  30. (法新社倫敦四日電) 英國情色大亨芮孟的公司a片昨天a片下載說,芮孟日前去世,享壽八十二歲;這位身價上億的房地產開發商,曾經在倫敦av女優推出第一情色視訊成人影片脫衣舞表演。色情
    av情色電影
    情色
    芮孟的av女優財產av估計達六億五千萬英鎊(台幣將近四百億),由日本av於他名下事業大多分布在倫敦夜生活區蘇活區,因色情影片成人擁有「蘇活之王」的稱號。成人網站


    他的公司「保羅芮情色孟集團」旗下發行部落格多種情色雜誌,包成人網站括「Razzle」、「男性世界」以及「Ma部落格yfair」。


    芮孟成人電影本名傑福瑞a片.安東尼.奎恩,父親為搬成人光碟運承包商。成人影片芮孟十五成人網站歲離開學av女優校,矢言要在表成人演事業留名,起先表演讀成人影片心術,後來成為巡迴av歌舞雜耍表sex演的製a片作人。


    許多評論家認為,他把情色表演帶進主流社會a片,一九五九年主持破天荒的脫衣舞表演情色電影,後來更AV片靠著在蘇avdvd活區與倫部落格敦西區開發房成人電影地產賺得色情a片大筆財富。

    色情
    有人形容芮孟av是英a片下載國的海夫色情納,地位等同美國的「花花公子」創辦人海夫納。

    ReplyDelete