Sunday, July 27, 2008

Talking Turkey

I say-- HEY!

HEY! Let me tell you about my turkeys! Ummmmmm... well, they're turkeys. They fly, and make noise, and poop. They poop a LOT. This particular bunch of birds are about 8 weeks old, and they've been living in our basement for that entire time. IT'S GOOD TO HAVE THEM OUTSIDE NOW. The baby chickens, we've kicked outside a LOT sooner, but we were a bit nervous about the turkey poults, having been advised by several people that baby turkeys spend the first several weeks of their lives "sitting around thinking up ways to die," and we did, indeed, lose two of the poults in the first days of their lives. I've been told that their immune systems take much longer to develop than those of chickens. I can tell you from first-hand experience that they're about 10 times less intelligent than chickens, and that's not exactly a high bar.

OK, there's more to them than that. These turkeys are not your average Butterball. The Butterballs and other commercially-available turkeys consumed in North America--99% of them, anyway, are Broad-Breasted White turkeys--the Frankenturkeys of the poultry world. Bred for massive breasts and rapid weight-gain, the BBWs can't reproduce naturally, and have a short life-span (longer than Frankenchickens, who can only survive a matter of weeks or occasionally months if not butchered before their organs give out, but short compared to "normal" turkeys). Their systems just can't support such massive growth for very long. That doesn't usually become an issue, since the BBWs are butchered at such a very young age.

Just like with the chickens, when I decided I wanted turkeys, I wanted something more natural than the standard "meat bird." Something that can easily move around, can fly, has strong foraging instincts, and can reproduce without human assistance. There are only a handful of turkey breeds who fit that bill, called heritage breeds, and Narragansetts are considered, by the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, to be a "threatened" breed of heritage turkey. So by choosing to raise these turkeys, we're helping to keep them around for the future, and increasing the diversity of our nation's food supply, hopefully.

Of the heritage breeds, as I did with my chickens, I chose the one that was known for a calm personality and a "broody" nature in the hens--the Narragansett. Broodiness just means that at certain points in her life, a hen will have a strong desire to sit on a clutch of eggs, hatch them, and tend to the babies. This requires a good amount of devotion and commitment, and not all hens have it. The ones who do will be the ones we continue on with for next year's turkey crop, and by choosing Narragansetts, I've hopefully increased our odds for getting a good number of broodies. Ditto the toms--our "keeper" tom needs to not only have all the physical characteristics of a proper Narragansett turkey, but he needs to be protective of, and kind to, the hens in his care, and he also needs to not behave aggressively toward humans. Again, whoever fits the bill is who will still be around this time next year.

gobble gobble

They're hugely entertaining to watch--not as much so as the chickens, to me, at least not yet, but still fun. They went outside for the first time today, so I'm crossing my fingers that they'll do well. Alex has built them a huge flight pen so that they have plenty of room to run and scratch and play and fly, and one day soon, when they're a bit older, they'll be allowed out with the chickens to have the run of the place during the day.

I'm asked a lot, as I asked myself at the beginning of this venture, how I can stand the thought of raising an animal from a baby and then harvesting it for food. The truth is, I'm still not 100% sure that I can, but at this point, I'm 95% sure I'll be able to do it. The key, for me, is in thinking of them as food from Day One. If I'm going to eat chicken and turkey (and I am), then the least I can do is to remove myself as much as possible from the factory-farmed poultry industry and its cruel system. I may be sad when harvest day comes--I SHOULD be sad, I think--but I can ensure that, unlike their unlucky battery-raised counterparts, my birds have a good life and an easy death.

turkey teenager

I will know that the poultry in my care, for their entire lives, knew grass under their feet and sunshine on their faces. That they always had plenty of space, and plenty of both quality food and clean water. That they were able to forage to their hearts' content, and when the urge hit them, to stretch their wings and roost in the trees.

pushme pullyou

Do these guys have a face only a mother could love, or what? Sadly, coming from a hatchery, they never knew a mother, aside from Alex and myself (they actually set up quite a fuss when we left them outside tonight, calling to us as we walked away toward the house). Hopefully, next year we'll have a whole new crop of turkey poults who arrive the way nature intended, complete with real, live MOMMIES of the same species. That's the way it should be.

If all goes well with the Narragansetts over the next year, then I might like to consider adding a heritage breed that has a local history--there is a breed called the "Arkansas Red," or "Regal Red," but I was unable to find anyone who has them. If you do, or you know someone who does, let me know.

17 comments:

  1. Yikes, I have a bad enough time keeping my fish tank clean, I don't know how y'all manage with chicken and turkeys and horses and poodles and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are freaking ugly birds. I've also heard the legendary stupidity of domestic turkeys. I think you have a great attitude towards your meat supply and my guess is killing them will become easier after the first time.

    Have you ever thought of raising pheasants? My step dad was going to do that but my mom didn't want to be that tied to the farm now that they've retired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in California, we lived out in the country, and there was a pack of wild turkeys (The bird, not the drink) that would descend upon the yard.

    They were not only uglier than your birdies, but they were MEAN!

    Little wanna-be dinosaurs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I will know that the poultry in my care, for their entire lives, knew grass under their feet and sunshine on their faces. That they always had plenty of space, and plenty of both quality food and clean water. That they were able to forage to their hearts' content, and when the urge hit them, to stretch their wings and roost in the trees."


    ::applause::

    Also, it's good to know that it's not that I don't want kids - I'm just not "broody!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are turning into Gordon Ramsay! I'm LOVING it!!!

    You are still my hero. See you in October.

    Shash xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm finding your blog really fascinating these days as I turn over ideas of 'urban/suburban farming' in my head. You, of course, have almost the real thing, but you are still an inspiration! Just before reading this I emailed a friend to ask about local chicken-keepingn bylawas. Out of curiosity, how many horses/ponies and dogs are you 'harbouring' now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post, I have been researching heritage breeds since reading Barbara Kingsolver's book and I was so happy to learn that one of the farmers at our local market will be offering "regal Reds" (I think) for Thanksgiving this year. Can't wait to taste the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.porterturkeys.com/

    They have EVERYTHING, including your Regal Reds, but you need to contact them early enough to get a good sized order in.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A片,aio,av女優,av,av片,aio交友愛情館,ut聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080聊天室,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,情色視訊,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,視訊,免費視訊,美女交友,成人交友,聊天室交友,微風論壇,微風成人,sex,成人,情色,情色貼圖,色情,微風,聊天室尋夢園,交友,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊辣妹,一夜情

    情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購,A片,視訊聊天室

    免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

    A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX

    情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

    av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室

    情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

    ReplyDelete
  10. 铜米机
    碳雕
    炭雕
    活性炭
    活性炭雕
    空气净化产品
    好想你枣
    北京好想你枣
    网站建设
    网站推广
    googel左侧优化
    googel左侧推广
    搜索引擎优化
    仓壁振动器
    给料机
    分子蒸馏
    短程蒸馏
    薄膜蒸发器
    导热油
    真空泵油
    胎毛笔
    手足印
    婴儿纪念品
    婴幼儿纪念品
    园林机械
    草坪机
    油锯
    小型收割机
    收割机
    割灌机
    割草机
    电动喷雾器
    地钻
    采茶机
    飘人|飘人2008|云淡风清
    铣刀
    意大利留学
    留学意大利
    钢管舞
    钢管舞培训
    北京钢管舞
    爵士舞
    北京音皇国际
    印刷厂
    油锯
    割草机
    绿篱机
    风力灭火机
    留学意大利
    意大利留学
    好日子小吃车
    好日子烧烤小吃车
    好日子多功能小吃车
    好日子烧烤车
    中频感应熔炼锻造设备
    高频感应加热钎焊设备
    保护膜
    佛具
    律师事务所
    北京律师事务所
    法律咨询
    北京律师
    北京法律咨询
    小吃车
    多功能小吃车
    烧烤小吃车
    烧烤车
    拓展训练
    水泥艺术围栏
    水泥艺术围栏设备
    水泥艺术围栏机械
    水泥栅栏设备
    艺术护栏
    艺术栏杆
    环保艺术围栏
    环保围栏
    环保围栏机械
    环保围栏设备
    彩色艺术围栏
    花瓶柱
    阳台柱
    阳台护栏设备
    阳台护栏
    塑料轴承
    陶瓷轴承
    破碎镐
    铣刨机
    china tours
    china travel
    china tour packages
    tibet tour
    泳池设备
    桑拿设备
    高低温试验箱
    盐雾试验箱
    割草机
    风力灭火机
    绿篱机
    输液轨道
    输液吊架
    轨道输液架
    医用吊架
    天轨输液吊杆
    医用扶手
    输液架
    设备带
    治疗带
    中心供氧
    博客1
    博客2
    博客3
    博客4
    博客5
    博客6
    博客7
    博客8
    博客9
    博客10
    博客11
    博客12
    博客13
    博客14
    博客15
    博客16
    博客0
    博客刘
    网站建设
    网站推广
    googel左侧优化
    googel左侧推广
    搜索引擎优化
    铜铝连接管
    铜铝连接管焊机
    千古一香小吃车
    千古一香烧烤小吃车
    千古一香多功能小吃车
    千古一香无烟烧烤小吃车
    搬家公司
    北京搬家公司
    北京朝阳区搬家公司
    通州区搬家公司
    北京通州区搬家
    海淀区搬家公司
    北京市丰台搬家公司
    冷缠防腐胶带
    环氧煤沥青冷缠带
    防腐漆涂料
    防腐材料
    聚丙烯增强纤维防腐胶带
    环氧富锌底漆
    耐高温漆涂料
    环氧树脂漆
    环氧煤沥青
    玻璃鳞片涂料胶泥
    机柜
    IBM机柜
    APC机柜
    VEOR机柜
    切换器
    好日子多功能小吃车
    好日子小吃车
    好日子烧烤小吃车
    北京好日子小吃车加盟
    好日子小吃车
    好日子多功能小吃车
    一品香小吃车
    千古一香小吃车
    上海租车
    上海汽车租赁
    上海租车网
    平安保险北京
    北京平安保险
    石材翻新
    石材结晶
    石材养护
    搬家公司
    北京市搬家公司
    朝阳区搬家公司
    通州搬家公司
    顺义搬家公司
    亦庄搬家公司
    玻璃喷砂机
    喷砂机
    打砂机
    玻璃机械

    ReplyDelete
  11. SEOとは、SEO対策検索エンジン最適化)とも呼ばれ、検索エンジンでより上位に表示させる技術のこと。Yahoo! SEOが日本ではシェアを持っていることもあり、重要。SEM(検索エンジンマーケティング)とはよく比較される。とくに日本のSEO対策東京が盛んです。

    ReplyDelete