Sunday, March 02, 2008

He Also Likes The Word "Popover"

So the husband and I are at Jason's Deli, a local restaurant known for fresh, gourmet sandwiches and soups with a "healthy" vibe. He orders, as he does every time, a chicken and spinach panini. He eats half of it, and pushes the rest away. To me, as I'm savoring my "light" meal of a small turkey wrap and steamed vegetables, the mozzarella-loaded panini looks pretty darn good.

this precedes a standard panini discussion

Me: "Is something wrong with your panini?"

Alex: "I just don't like it."

Me: "Well, you don't like 'crunchy' bread."

Alex: (agreeing) "I don't like 'crunchy' bread."

Me: "So why do you always order paninis? A panini is grilled, so the bread is going to be, by necessity, 'crunchy'."

Alex: "I forgot. Anyway, why can't they make a panini with soft bread?"

Me: (gesturing toward the gigantic, wall-spanning menu) "They DO. They're called 'sandwiches.' The place is lousy with them."

Alex: "Shut up."

Me: "You just like to say, 'panini,' don't you?"

Alex: "Shut up."

Me: "Kind of like how you think you like popovers, because you like to say 'popover,' right?"

Alex: (quietly) "I'd like a popover."

16 comments:

  1. I was laughing so hard I ended up having to read it out loud to my husband.

    Husbands are weird. In that cool, geeky, I-love-you-but-you're-weird kind of way.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sounds an awful lot like my husband. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, had to read this aloud to my husband after reading it. Because it's JUST SO FAMILIAR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha ha! This is the kind of thing that would make me utter the sentence hubs & I have passed back & forth since we were dating: "I love you anyway." Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. neither here nor there, but one of my co-workers won't eat sandwiches because she doesn't like the feel of bread on her teeth. It's something about the texture of the bread and how it stops at the meat? I dunno. I cannot fathom disliking a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with Alex. "Panini" has such a flair, while " Sandwich" is rather bland and unappetizing. Kind of like crunchy bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just spit tea all over my computer. So, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn (oddthomas)March 3, 2008 at 3:01 PM

    I have read this to everyone in the house... I think we've ALL had this conversation with someone at one time or another... :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never say Panini correctly, so I never get to order them (because I don't like looking any more stupid than I do naturally)... but I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK then, how about when your husband turns to you and asks, "Do I like *insert food here*?"

    Do men get married just so they have someone to whom to say that??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really think they get married so that they can empty their memory cache and NEVER HAVE TO KNOW ANYTHING AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I take it Alex has a thing against ordering the 'soft' panini??

    He reminds me of the person who orders the pizza without the crust and gets upset because all that arrives is a pile of cheese and toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Panini sounds like a dirty word. I'm sorry, I can be 12 sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete