Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Pregnant With Possibility

Bread's rising. Nothing I do in the kitchen is more rewarding and rife with promise than breadmaking. Why don't I do it more often? The actual labor involved is moderate, and most of the process is...waiting. Heck, I'm building character while I make sweet potato dinner rolls!

Will it rise well? Will it taste good? Will it reflect what I've put into it? I love that I can kind of monitor the progress step by step, from proofing the yeast to how much give the dough has during kneading to how much and how quickly it rises, both the first and second time.

Right now, I'm waiting for the little orangey rolls I've shaped to magically fluff up and fulfill their potential. There's no reason they shouldn't, because they've been given everything they need to thrive. I followed the recipe to the letter, and handled every step with care, and have been watchful of the entire process. No detail has escaped my attention.

But still, I wait...and I'm a little nervous. But it's a familiar anticipation. I've been here before.

UPDATE: They are perfect, my little bread-babies. Here's hoping that this really IS a metaphor for my life.

sweet potato rolls

crumb

sweet little orange breads

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful... perfect breadmaking sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And like birth, if this one is screwed up...you can always make another...right??? *snort*

    Happy Turkey Day, Belinda!

    CP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only truly evil people post recipes. Let's take, oh, say Martha Stewart. Ever try one of her recipes? She taunts you. Yet we continue to buy her stuff, perpetuating her evil empire. Having said that, whether the bread turns out or not, at least it will still smell good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can practically smell how good these rolls are...and it's making me hungry.

    Happy Thanksgiving to y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look like they lived up to their expectations!!!

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i want some breadbabies!
    happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, I can smell those bread babies here! Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am stuffed and yet...this makes me hungry...

    ReplyDelete