Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Flickr Explore Landmarks

Well, for me, anyway. Today this shot I took of Bella back in May suddenly popped up in Explore in the number 11 spot. It's the highest-ranked Explore photo I've ever had, and tantalizingly close to breaking the top ten! My second-highest one ever was a silly photo of Delta the dog driving a tractor. Come to think of it, this photo of Bella was taken on that same tractor. Hmmmm. Maybe I should try having all my photos framed by a John Deere for a while.

Sometimes I Catch A Glimpse of Heaven

Additionally, Bella herself has now had her first Explore appearance, with this photo she took of the lighted tiles in the soda fountain at our local Dixie Cafe. It came in at #263, and is currently at #199. Not bad for a 4-year-old. I need to hand her the camera WAY more often.

blue tiles, by Bella, age 4

7 comments:

  1. Yeah; well, you prob would have made #1 if you hadn't cropped out the OTHER BEAUTIMOUS kid in the pic who happens to be MINE. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I don't get it. You should tell more about Flickr Explore and how it works. I even tried to figure it out on my own, but I'm confused...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every day, there are (out of the millions posted) 500 photos that flickr pulls out and features on a page called "Explore," based on what they call "interestingness." Just what decides "interestingness" is much speculated on, and somewhat mysterious. We know that there is an algorithm, and that it is changed up every couple of months to keep the same people from being in Explore all the time. Some pictures pop in and right back out of Explore, while others stay in for days, weeks, months at a time. A not-particularly-good snapshot I took of Bella when she was 3, wearing her "Mommy Wants A New President" t-shirt has been in Explore almost every single day for over a year.

    The best explanation of what Explore is all about is probably the one at www.bighugelabs.com, under "Scout." Scout is a tool that locates your flickr photos that have been featured in Explore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations to you and Bella!

    I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bella takes better pictures than some artists I've seen. HA

    Maybe she could give me some tips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. She obviously inherited your "Fantastic Photographer" gene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! And yeah - the kiddo should be wielding my camera, too. She is MUCH better than me!

    ReplyDelete