Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Ask And It Shall Be Answered

The Internets, they are powerful. Thanks to the generosity of several people, and the opportunity to sing for my supper by live-blogging the event for BlogHer, it looks like I'll actually be able to attend the conference in a couple of weeks, after all. Sheesh, who knew one whiny, wishy-washy post was all it took? Now I just have to face my own trepidation at leaving my BABY and getting on a PLANE to go away from my HOME. The good news? Shacking up with Kelly and Shash. Snuggling with JenB. Meeting SO MANY PEOPLE that I'm overwhelmed at the mere thought.

Thank you, additionally, to everyone who offered assistance in shifting my carcass out of central Arkansas for a couple of days. People who think that relationships formed via the internet can't be "real" are...to be pitied, I think. Also thank you to my husband for doing the heavy pushing required to even get my brain on the "going somewhere" track. And my MIL for frequent-flier miles.

Bella and I are getting ready to meet Alex and the rest of the fam to go to a preview screening of the new Harry Potter movie. I fully realize that means that I may be signing myself up to spend a couple of hours window-shopping with a preschooler while everyone ELSE watches the movie, but hey, I'm a mom. I can deal. She won't hear of not going, and she's seen the previous ones, though occasionally hiding her eyes during scary parts. I was the same way as a kid, fascinated by creepy, scary, spooky stuff. Fortunately Jer tipped me off about the Nightmare Snatcher. I would have loved one of those when I was young.

Right now, Bella is all dressed to go, and her sandals don't match her dress, and she's put on a headband that isn't quite right with everything else, but you know what? She's clean, she's happy, and she feels empowered, so I'm shutting my critique-trap. I do, however, think I'm going to try to talk her out of her "baby-carrier," which consists of a stuffed plush poodle strapped to her waist with a pink faux-suede belt.

We just spent 5 minutes looking at each other and giggling, for no apparent reason. Life is good.

I posted about a poignant encounter in downtown Little Rock over at the Times. Check it out, it'll warm the cockles of your heart.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah! Have fun - try a deep dish pizza (and I hope you hook up with Jillian).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not jealous. I will not cry. I will not cry.

    I will, however, demand copius details. Also? Please to be licking the Kelly for me, as I hear she tastes vaguely of espresso and cinnamon. And rainbows.

    With no hope of attending, I will be gobbling up live blogs and daydreaming about which shoes I would bring with me.

    3rd time is the charm, right? Next year will be my third attempt at BlogHer. I'm starting my savings fund now. So far? I have 8 cents.

    Have a great time!!! And don't waste a thought on my non-jealousy and the tears I will absolutely NOT be weeping even though I would consider selling most of my furniture and possibly my husband (on eBay, he'd fetch a hefty sum, I'm sure) in order to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you will be going! I absolutely can not wait to meet you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. country girl tooJuly 11, 2007 at 6:57 AM

    Loved the story at the Times! Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome! Can't wait to meet you in person!

    I am SO excited!

    Shash

    ReplyDelete