Sunday, June 24, 2007

Enchantment: Broken

fairytale

This photo illustrates the kind of day I was having with my daughter Saturday. She was all make-believe and swishy skirts and thoughtfulness, and I was along for the ride. That night before bed, we were reading.

Bella: "That word is AMAZING." (We were reading "Spiderman" comics)

Me: "Sure is. Wow, you are really recognizing a lot of words--you're getting closer and closer to knowing how to read all by yourself, huh?"

Bella: "Sure am." (Gee, wonder where she gets that?) "Do you know that I am going to be five years old in October? And that after that, I'll be six, and then seven, and then eight, then nine, then TEN?" (Ten is how old her cousin Grayson is now, and however old he is, is to her, the ultimate goal, and where she stops counting.)

Me: "Yes, I know."

Bella: "I am growing up."

Me: "Yes, you are, and it makes me sad, a little, because I want you to stay just like this, and never grow up."

Bella: "I know, me too, but I am growing up all the time."

Me: "Yes, you are. I just wish you didn't have to."

Bella: "Well, I do. And after I am grown up, you will be dead."

Me: (*blink, blink*) "Well, I hope not for a LONG time!"

Bella: "Oh, yes. For a long time."

Me: "What do you mean?"

Bella: "That I am going to be a grownup for a long time, and you are going to be dead for a long time."

Me: "Well, let's see how Spiderman escapes from The Living Brain, OK?"

*poof* Spell broken. My daughter, master of the reality check. I'd better get it into gear and get some stuff done.

She refused to kiss the frog, despite his promises.
Ribbit.

11 comments:

  1. Wait I'm first - this is wild!

    Bella is growing up and I'm sad also, I feel like I'm watching her, via this blog, turn into a little lady. Aye - life happens to fast, no?

    ps - you are a saint of a wife to go one another fishing trip and than what happens, man, you're made of sterner stuff than me, mad props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, She is just too funny! Where would we be without thos little reality checks our kids bring us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just thinking that I don't think I was ever that direct with my parents.

    I'm still not that direct with them.

    Maybe I'll try that next time I talk to them. On the other hand, at their age, it may cause them to be dead a long time.

    Keep recording those things for posterity, you can use them against her later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Boy 2 told me the other day he loved me so much, when I die he's going to wear me in a necklace.

    *crickets chripping* Um, that's sweet honey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kids are hysterical. =)

    i hope you remember to tell her about this conversation when she's an adult.

    keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness! Better get your will ready, Mom! Little Bella is already on top of things.

    I hope you don't die for a long time. I'd miss you. -hugs-

    she is awfully cute, that one....makes me smile, she does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah... smart as a whip, funny as all get out... and utterly gorgeous. She's the only little girl (other than my own of course) that I believe might actually be president some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's adorable. Her logic is amazing. You'll have to remind her of this when she gets older -- and you are still around to inform her of her "youthful wisdom."

    ReplyDelete
  9. HIL-larious! I was like that when I was about 6 but my daughter is the opposite. She's all drama.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog!
    You have an awesome daughter - bought a shot gun yet for then the boys com-a-knockin'?

    ReplyDelete