Wednesday, September 06, 2006

So Much To Say, So Little Time

First, Alex is cooking tonight AGAIN. Some kind of divine-smelling teriyaki-pineapple chicken concoction, and I think I smell garlic bread. I'm getting hold of that doctor's office tomorrow and demanding to know if the words "PROGNOSIS NEGATIVE" are stamped all over my chart.

Bella started Children's Choir at church tonight. It was her first time, and she LOVED it. I'm pretty thrilled, because the kid can carry a tune, which, as I know from my own experiences teaching 1st-3rd grade Children's Choir at church, is NOT A GIVEN with kids choirs. And you can't exactly audition out the stinkers, because, you know...it's church. God just said to "make a joyful noise," and "noise" is really not specific enough to keep anyone out of a church choir, if you know what I mean.

My mother took her to church after work, and this was a good day for her to be gone all day. Because WOW, was this ever a Not Good day pain-wise. And, can I have a drumroll? As Alex was leaving this morning around 7:15, he called the house on his cell, and said, "Um, Honey? I know you really feel bad, and I wouldn't mention it if I didn't think it was important, but Magic (the pony) is lying down up by the water trough, and she looks...not right. I think you better go out and check on her, maybe call the vet."

Well, thank you, Alex, for your sharp eye and good instincts even at that distance, because would you like to know what was wrong with our sweet little pony, Internets? Would you? All right, I'll tell you: WEST NILE VIRUS. That's right. I've never seen anything like it. I'm loading some pictures tonight, and will probably tell the main tale over at the NPL blog, because the vet said he'd seen FIVE cases in this area yesterday, and put down TWO infected horses. So I'm considering this topic an "important to the locals" one.

The good news is that the treatment is relatively cheap and easy (bag of I.V. fluids twice daily, containing DMSO, dexamethasone, and Banamine, and some electrolytes and ulcer medicine to counteract the effects that those things have on the delicate equine tummy), and that thanks to Alex we caught it VERY early and her prognosis is great. There's not really any cure (there is a vaccine, however imperfect), so our goal is basically to keep the symptoms from killing the patient while the virus runs its course. Prayers loaded and fingers crossed, please.

Could we get a little drama around here for the month of September, please? KIDDING! KIDDING!!! NO MAS, NO MAS, POR FAVOR!

8 comments:

  1. Holy CRAP.. That sucks! Poor horse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Magic!

    I've often thought that there was more noise than music in the children's choir, but at least it's joyful, and that's what matters most.

    Hope it starts to ease up for you soon. I mean, it can't rain on you all the time, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belinda,

    Wow! West Nile!!! We have a BIG problem with WN here in CT. As a matter of fact, all of our office windows HAVE to be closed today and tomorrow as the city is spraying to stop the infestation. I had no clue it infected horses as well. My best wishes for Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with Magic, Belinda. I was intrigued by your mention of DMSO. I use it everyday though not on myself. It's an important delivery tool in cancer research due to its transdermal quality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...I would say you are good on drama until...next May or June.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely good on drama for a long while:o)

    I hope Magic feels better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a fantastic cook.

    Unfortunately I am WAAAY too lazy to share my gift.

    Good for Alex.

    ReplyDelete