Friday, May 12, 2006

Her Idea Of Heaven

The bridal shop. I thought Bella would lose her mind when we got there. The gasping! The shrieking! The hand-clapping! And that was all before we even got in the door, just looking in the windows.

My precious young cousin Zack is getting married next month (*sniff*) to a beautiful, sweet, smart, and delightful young lady, Angela. Bella is to be their flower-girl, and she will be dressed to "match" the bride. SHE IS STOKED ABOUT THIS, to put it mildly.

We walked into the bridal shop yesterday to try a couple of dresses on her, and she ran, breathless, right up to the first employee she saw, and declared,

"HI! I'M ISABELLA AND I WANT A WEDDING DRESS!" I think she was sincerely in danger of passing out from excitement a couple of times. Each wedding dress she saw on display was described in hushed, reverent tones: "Sooooo preeeeeetty...." I especially liked what tumbled out when she saw the bustier-top gown on a dress form in the center of the store.

"Oh, that one has boob tops. See? For you to put your boobs in! I need one with little boob tops."

And when she saw herself IN the dresses? Oh, my. I don't think she'd ever laid eyes on anything quite so captivating. "I AM a princess!" She looked like a tiny little Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly, I swear. She turned all around in front of the mirrors, never taking her eyes off the wonderment that was this most amazing dress of all time. It was during one of these turns, while gazing back at her reflection over her shoulder, that she asked, "Can I wear this home to my house now?"

"Oh, no, honey--remember what we talked about? We're just trying on today. Your dress is being ordered, and isn't here yet. We aren't leaving here WITH a dress today."

"Oh." (still gazing at reflection) "Then can I stay here?"

Go figure. ME, raising a diva. Who'd 'a thunk it?

I caught a couple of hasty pictures with the cell phone, and sent them to her daddy, who I think had heart palpitations at the images. Alex has those pictures up at his site.

22 comments:

  1. "can i stay here?"

    priceless. so adorable, b.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never a "dress" girl, but isn't amazing that most females are just programmed and come this way? It's just so amazing the differences between boys and girls. Just imagine how boring it would be if you had a son who was going to be a ring bearer ... he'd be slumping around the tux place, squirming in a suit ... girls are WAY more entertaining! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Look at the little boob top! :)

    They put her in a veil, too? Oh man.

    My daughter is a total diva, too. Makes me crazy, because at her age, I was outside making mud pies, and building forts.

    She freaks out if she gets a drop of water on her clothes, and immediately has to change. God forbid if I get her anywhere NEAR a bridal shop!! Eeeek!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks so pretty - and I so sypathize with Bella's sentiments.

    You must see the Friends episode where Monica has to pick up a her brother Ross's fiance's wedding dress - I think that pretty much sums up most girls/ladies feelings about wedding dresses and how special they make us feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankfully I didn't have to go shopping with Katie for her wedding dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what I would have done if I'd had a daughter and she was a "girly" girl. "G" I hate to shop, hate trying on clothes, actually have to be forced to go shopping, shoes? just give me a pair of tennies.

    God knew what he was doing when he gave me three boys.

    I can't believe what a grown up style her dress is. Is that like the one she will be wearing? No wonder Alex had heart palpitations! "G" She will make a lovely flower girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You, raising a diva? LOL. Are you really suprised? Although I wasn't QUITE the diva that she is, I am pretty sure that you had some influence on me at a young age. I still require freshly washed laundry in order to visit anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is going to drive her dad crazy with the boys when she is older.

    She looks absolutely adorable in that dress.

    I remember when I was a flower girl (many years ago). I got a cute little heart shaped locket, but don't remember what the dress looked like:o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, she is too freaking cute! "Can I stay here?" Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun way to spend a few hours - picking out a dress with an enthralled 3 year old. Does she pick out her own clothes, and insist on them matching, too? I did at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute :)

    Alan could care less about clothes, except for a Thomas T shirt. We are a total mismatch :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, she's to sweet and TOO YOUNG to be thinking about being a bride. You must break this love affair with veils and wedding dresses. This is just so....


    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    shhhhhh..... CUTE

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mercy, she's gorgeous. Your husband is going to have to reside 24-7 on the front porch with a shotgun in about 10 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "SHE IS STOKED ABOUT THIS, to put it mildly."

    lololol..funny.

    And the pix are SO cute!

    When the big event comes, maybe get one of her photos blown up and framed for her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my heavens is that daughter of yours BEAUTIFUL. Honestly, Belinda, I can just imagine her twirling around in that bridal shop, eyes big as saucers. Does she get to wear a miniature veil, too? So, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is the most precious little girl! You are truely blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, all. It really was a special afternoon. And now, if anyone has any tips on how to maximize the chances of a 3-year-old actually performing her flower-girl duties without a meltdown, tantrum, or just boredom-induced zone-out, now is the time to share them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to admit, one of my first thoughts was "I hope that wedding's not on one of her nekkid days." She shed her princess costume pretty fast at Halloween, didn't she?

    My suggestion is to put Grandmommie Judith in charge of her for the event. If anyone can pull it off, she can. Then take a dose of Rescue Remedy for yourself, and be prepared with your own camera.

    When my brother Rick got married, there was an adorable little girl about 5ish as one of the flower girls. She took her duties very seriously, but as the ceremony went on past her attention span, she spent her time collecting the rose petals that she had already thrown on the steps and putting them back in the basket. Then she threw them again, and turned her basket upside down and banged it sharply to make sure it was empty.

    Unfortunately, the videographer missed the flower girl's performance. It was a hoot! Just as funny was her older sister, the other flower girl, who was trying to pretend she didn't see any of it.

    And you know Bella's going to want to wear that dress everywhere after the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  19. She looks just so freakin' adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. She looks so pretty and proper. I never saw Alex's blog til now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH MY GOD, girl, she shames Grace Kelly. You are indeed raising a diva--in the best sense of the word.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete