Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Clone Me A Chili-Dog

First, if you haven't heard about it, scientists have successfully engineered meat by culturing tissue cells, in vitro. Really. You can read about it in an article at The Slate, which I first found out about here. The implications are amazing--the possibility of eating meat without killing anything to get it. The idea that beneficial cells could be added in the process, like putting Omega fatty acids into lean meats. Heck, if they can do that, then my dream of hunks of chocolate with the health benefits of cruciferous green vegetables can't be far off, right? RIGHT?

And knowing Alex and me as you do, I'm sure you can imagine the highly intellectual and philosophical debate these articles spurred between us. During the part of the discussion I'll call the "But would you eat it?" segment, I made the very unscientific remark, "Well, lots of kids are born through in vitro technology, and you sure can't tell them apart from any other people." (And yes, I understand that THAT process and the culturing of tissue from tissue cells is not the same thing. No boring biology lectures, you eggheads.)

To which my husband immediately replied (really, it's the instantaneousness of these responses that disturb me), "Yeah, but they don't ever taste the same." You see my mistake there? See, I thought I had already made the joke (comparing artificially-made hamburger to people--HA!), but it turns out, I was, once again, just setting him up for the real punch-line. This is my life.

And to illustrate both why I love Arkansas and how beautiful my nephew is, a couple of pictures, taken on Greers Ferry Lake this past weekend. Seriously--the lake and the boy--they are beautiful, no? I love this boy. He is my Heavenly Consolation Prize for not having a second child of my own, perhaps. And he'll do nicely. He just turned 9. Ahhh...good times. (click to enlarge)


16 comments:

  1. Oh my. genetically engineered meat. They can do this but not find a cure for cancer?

    I am also the "set-up" man for my husband, which is why he always gets the biggest laughs at parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire said it perfectly. They're creating meat in pitri dishes but we still have AIDS and cancer. Unfrigginbelievable. Listen, I'd go strict vegetarian if the doctors would quit wasting their time on bullshit and start working on some things we really need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pix!! Beautiful boy and beautiful lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that looks like fun! I miss innertubing, rafting, towboating, or whatever the heck it's called. I don't think I ever knew. But it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or how about chocolate flavored meat! That might be enough to lure me back from the vegetarian lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is definitely something to think about.

    Great pics on the lake. You will have to save the one of him sleeping for later use:o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can tell Alex that he's WRONG. IVF children certainly do taste the same as any other kid. I've got 2 of them, and I've taken many many love bites over the years. he's just wrong. :-)

    Seriously, you guys are nuts. I love you, but you're nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hot dogs are already 'engineered' and we eat plenty of those...

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is darling and would be great consolation for anything. Your photos on the water brought back all the memories I had of waterskiing on the lakes in Eastern Oklahoma...Grand Lake was the best. The days when the sun wasn't such a bad guy.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you say chocolate with the benefits of vegetables? OMG I think I've died & gone to heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cloned meat is highly disturbing to me. Well, maybe not "highly," but somewhere less so than the thought of cloned sheep and quite a bit less so than the thought of cloned humans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I suppose anyone who considers Pop Tarts food would love cloned meat, but I like my steak so rare it almost moos. Can they do that in a test tube?
    I think the whole thing is just too creepy. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My little animal-loving heart is warmed by this, of course. If you think meat from a lab is creepy, visit a factory farm. Urk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's actually a great thing, if it's ultimately safe to consume. It could mean an end to factory farming, and the resources used to produce food-animals could be used to actually feed hungry people all over the world.

    And there would be more hay available for my horses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is why I love this blog...and it also makes me feel better that there's someone out there with a spouse as nutcakes as the one I've got. If they ever meet, we should just leave the country...heck, we should leave the planet.

    ReplyDelete