Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The World Around Me And Within Me, 1946

Note: I've had a winner! The inimitable zeldafitz was (naturally) the first to correctly guess this "guest blogger's" identity, and there were three more close on her heels (all women...hmmmm). So while Lisa wins the First Prize, there are still smaller prizes to go out to anyone with a correct answer before the final post. Really--on that one, you'll pretty much have to get it, even if it's only through Googling. So prizes are only available through this and tomorrow's entry...and tomorrow's entry will have plenty of clues.

I am "naturalized." I am so many things, so many identities, and now I may officially add to those labels, "American." The Second World War has plunged me into confusion, a search for truth and God, and introspection. I find it so odd and unsettling that the very Germany which allowed me, in my post-Oxford days, freedoms of a kind that I could experience nowhere else, has played host to such atrocities of intolerance and hatred, and going back there to participate in a psychological study of German civilians has not clarified things much for me.

I've studied, at length, the works and writings of Kierkegaard, and particularly those of Niebur, and have published volumes which reflect my own theological growth process and ultimate return to the church of my mother, the Anglican Church. I think she'd be pleased--if not with certain paths my life has taken, then at least with my religion, and my scholarly pursuits. Of that trepidatious path which I walk daily, in seeming opposition to my faith, I have reconciled myself to the fact that I live in sin, it is a sin that I am unable to stop committing, and that through steadfast communication with my God and the gift of His grace, I am not abandoned, for it is He who made me, inclusive all of my predelictions and the machinations of my heart.

I have continued to teach through the years, at my own alma mater and at universities in this country. I enjoy it as an ever-changing, exciting journey toward ultimate truth and knowledge, and I must admit to a certain perverse joy in the reaction of each years' students to my classes, after having been told "what to expect" by the previous year's scholars! NO! It should not be the same, time after time, this thing we call "education!" The mere fact of having as students different people with different ideas, and I myself having learned new things and developed new philosophies over time...why, those things alone defy the definition of critical thinking as static! Eliot never misses a chance to critique my work, and seems to be of the opinion that teaching, and the study of theology, taint my writing to an unsatisfactory level. I say, it is what it is, and what it is will change with every reading of it, every reader of it, and each new generation and societal context in which it is read!

In any case, I never expected my work, my art, to have quite so much attention paid it, and look forward with interest and curiosity to what the future brings.


For much better fare than this feeble attempt at blogging as persons of note throughout history, do yourself the treat of ordering Paul Davidson's book:The Lost Blogs: From Jesus to Jim Morrison--The Historically Inaccurate and Totally  Fictitious Cyber Diaries of Everyone Worth Knowing
The Lost Blogs: From Jesus to Jim Morrison--The Historically Inaccurate and Totally Fictitious Cyber Diaries of Everyone Worth Knowing

4 comments:

  1. i've always wanted to say to someone, "you lost me at Kierkegaard". Sadly, no one has ever cited Kierkegaard in my presence, until now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- I'm am clearly too much of a dumbshit to even begin to try and play this game! Woe is me. The dumbshit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I'm still stupid. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I've made things obscure, guys--I'm sorry! NONE of you are stupid--I can't get yours yet either! It's so hard to give clues (and the clues are there--they absolutely are) without making things too "Googlable." THAT has been my challenge. The next installment will be rife with information for the intrepid scholar, and the final one...well, the final one will be SUPREMELY Googlable, so everyone should be able to figure it out even if this is "not your thing." That is why the cutoff for prizes is Thursday's entry. So put your thinking caps on for tomorrow--the "Grand Prize" has been won already, but there are still plenty of small but personal "runner-up" prizes to be had!

    ReplyDelete