Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Looking Back On A Decade Of Permutation And Eclecticism, 1938

Note: This crazy little campaign has hit the mainstream media! Kevin is truly a visionary for having come up with the concept, and of course none of us would be here without Pauly's book (see bottom of post).

What an amazing metamorphosis of circumstance can be brought about in the course of the passing of a tenth of a century! New opportunities have arisen for me at every turn, and the ironies of life abound, illustrating all too well the folly of man, to make his puny plans and schemes right under the nose of God, who is almost surely laughing. And all the while, all during our many machinations, Nature and Life go on at their own pace, oblivious to our personal, individual comedies and tragedies...but then, I've already written on that theme and the great painting that illustrates it, so I'll leave it alone here.

Delicious, isn't it, that as a man of 31, I bemoaned my misfortune at having my writings rejected by an editor at the publishing house of Faber and Faber? Well, either I have matured in my writing, or that erstwhile editor in his reading comprehension, because while I've published several books of my own work, and collaborated on a few plays with dear friend Chris in the last decade, who do you think did me the honor of publishing me for the very first time, Dear Reader? Why, none other than T.S. Eliot himself, in his very own periodical; and the proposed kissing of my hindquarters never even came into question.

The things that have come to pass since my last writing here are too numerous to mention, but I've traveled the world; Chris and I have spent the better part of the last year in China, where we are even now! I took a wife a few years back. We do not cohabitate, as the arrangement was a matter of convenience for a friend in need of a passport, but dear E. remains a friend always, and we see no need of divorce, since we both find ourselves in that awkward societal situation of, as Housman put it, of being burdened with the same "nameless and abominable" colour of hair...so to speak.

I would hope that my writings have made some sort of societal impact for correct leftist thinking, especially seeing how disappointing were my direct efforts in that area. Why, try as I might in Spain, I had hardly any credibility as a supporter of the Republic there, because I was not a communist! You might say I learned first-hand the true lessons of tyranny and totalitarianism. In any case, though I did write and publish about the experience, it was not quite what I'd expected. That is only fitting, since I myself am hardly ever "what is expected" by society in general--you'd think the refusal to title many of my poems an outright act of treason against humanity! But I cannot create if I am to be constricted by convention. Intellect is not static, nor is philosophy. It is living, ever-changing, and dynamic, and I thrill at each new turn that my life takes, and the opportunities for growth which I am thereby afforded.

I do not know when I shall again take up this journal; perhaps another decade hence? I only know for certain that the next chapter in the ongoing story of my journey in learning is on the horizon, as Chris and I depart soon...for America!



For much better fare than this feeble attempt at blogging as persons of note throughout history, do yourself the treat of ordering Paul Davidson's book:The Lost Blogs: From Jesus to Jim Morrison--The Historically Inaccurate and Totally  Fictitious Cyber Diaries of Everyone Worth Knowing
The Lost Blogs: From Jesus to Jim Morrison--The Historically Inaccurate and Totally Fictitious Cyber Diaries of Everyone Worth Knowing

6 comments:

  1. I know now why they call these the lost blogs. I am a lost blogger with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I should know who this is, but want to continue guessing, instead of giving into my impulse to Google things. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halfway through I thought I knew, but now I'm pretty sure that I haven't got the slightest idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know who this is either, but you sure do have a way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mikey, it will get easier. I've tried hard to eliminate those clues that would be easily "searchable," and that makes it hard to guess. If it helps, I don't know who you are, either! Haven't read today's entry yet, though...

    nicole--props to you for resisting the urge to mad Google! I've been doing my best to do the same, and have only guessed two of the ones I've read without resorting to my good friend Google.

    rabbit--I don't know yours either!!

    elizabeth--all will be clear in time, dahhling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, oooh!!! (hand waving madly in the air, bouncing in seat) i know, i know i know!!

    i just sent it to you via email. because i am tightfisted with my worldly (possibly wrong) knowledge:)

    fun game!!! just what i need to waste some more of my time this week;-) might even try it myself, but don;t think i can top this one at all!

    ReplyDelete