Sunday, April 09, 2006

Last-Minute Pre-GBBMC Housecleaning

Tomorrow marks the start of the worldwide Grassroots Blogger Book Marketing Campaign, or GBBMC. I've been yammering about it for weeks, starting here, so if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you haven't been paying attention. Or you're new. Or I didn't explain it very well. Whatever. The point is this: For five consecutive days, Monday through Friday, about 40 bloggers (you will find them blogrolled in my sidebar right beneath that logo of ol' Honest and Pensive Abe), including myself, will be posting daily entries AS SOMEONE ELSE. You will have the fun (if we do our jobs well) of reading along and attempting, as the week goes on, to figure out who we "are." The Mystery Blogger can be anyone of renown throughout history, from the beginning of time to the present, in any field--that's the fun of it!Everyone will be running their individual shows a little differently, so check each participating blog for details, but here's how we're gonna play it in THIS space: I won't have comments enabled for these entries, because I don't want any early guessers to ruin it for everyone else. If you have a guess, make sure it's your "final answer," (you only get one official guess) and email it to me, because I will have a special prize for the first person who guesses correctly. If I'm not swamped, I'll also offer small prizes to each correct answer emailed in prior to the "reveal" on Friday. I'm going to give it away so obviously on Friday that Friday guesses just won't count for prizes, but I'll have comments open that day. Also? Using Google to "cheat" just sucks. Don't suck. Use your brain to play. If you don't have a clue on one blog, go to someone else's...someone's sure to be blogging as someone you'll recognize. We're not out to make this impossible.

During this week, I may or may not continue posting regular entries, as myself. But just in case, each GBBMC post will be top-posted that day, and have as all or part of its title, a date from the last century--that will be your clue that it's not "me" posting, and that I do not, in fact, suffer from a severe mental illness. Well, I might, but not as relates to this game. But just in case you miss that, I'll also post a picture which links to a page from which you can pre-order Paul Davidson's book, "The Lost Blogs," which is due to be released in May, and is the reason we're all doing this. We're bloggers pulling together to support one of our own, and if YOU wrote a book, I'm sure we'd do the same for you. Unless your book sucked. But maybe even then, so fierce and boundless is our loyalty. Fortunately, Pauly's book does NOT suck, so all the better. (And that is the most I have ever used the word "suck" in any blog-post, ever. I apologize.)

So: Order Paul's book:The Lost Blogs: From Jesus to Jim Morrison--The Historically Inaccurate and Totally  Fictitious Cyber Diaries of Everyone Worth Knowing
The Lost Blogs: From Jesus to Jim Morrison--The Historically Inaccurate and Totally Fictitious Cyber Diaries of Everyone Worth Knowing


read his blog, and play along with the Grassroots Blogger Book Marketing Campaign. What else have you got to do?

And now for a few things I would otherwise be blogging about, and need to clear out of my head so that I can properly concentrate on becoming--oh, HO! You almost GOT me!--for the next 5 days:

Cute ponies.Magic's filly is two months old now, and still without a name. Suggestions are welcome, and additional pictures are up at flickr.

Bella told me, and I quote, "You are the best mommy I ever HEARD of!" I just had to share that, because it's just about the only compliment I've received all month, and I like it.

On the gutted computer front, it turns out that there was some kind of bizarre power surge during a storm on Friday, and our cable modem is also fried. That sounds bad, but the possible good news is that, when they send someone from the cable company out to check out the modem, and if it turns out that it did get zapped in the storm, they will not only replace our modem free, but then that might also serve as proof for the insurance company that this Act of God is what fried our motherboard as well, in which case it's covered under our homeowner's insurance. Yay. The bad news is that we're still on dialup for who knows how long, which means I am not getting around to other blogs for now--it's just too painful, the waiting, and the having to disconnect the phone.

In equine news, a blessed twofer has occurred (those of you who don't believe in the power of prayer can just skip ahead): Two of the greatest worries hanging over my head regarding my horses have been our inability to find hay, AND our inability to keep supporting this number of horses on land with so little grass. I couldn't bear to just put an ad in the paper to sell my horses to strangers, but I knew I was reaching the crisis point in being able to care for them, too. I had decided to give three colts away for free, to the best homes I could possibly find, to people I knew and trusted--but I hadn't actually made any real efforts in that regard, just prayed for guidance.

So yesterday I got a phone call as a result of one of the many "feelers" I've put out all over the state about my desperate need for hay. Turns out, it's a distant cousin of mine, someone I know since years back when she was just a sweet teenage girl with a kind hand and a good way with horses, and a penchant for fine Arabians. She is a professional trainer and riding teacher now, and lives near my uncle, who gave her my number. She has a lot of EXTRA HAY. A lot. My heart leaps within me at the thought of all that hay. And--AND! When I ask her how much she wants for it, trying not to let my heart sink at the thought of how in the world I shall ever pay for said hay, she answers, "Well, I hear you might have some horses you need to place..." I just about tripped over my own tongue, sputtering, "You want to talk trade?"

So, I will be getting blessed, wonderful, sorely needed HAY, and my lovely 3rd cousin 9 times removed (or whatever) will be getting a beautiful, well-bred, ground-broke young adult mare who also happens to be a great producer of foals, to train to replace her main school-horse that is going on maternity leave next spring. I will be sad to see my mare leave, but so happy in the knowledge that she will be loved, cared for, ridden, and even shown, instead of wasting away as pasture decoration here with me. We are even talking of some more "trading" that might alleviate the pressure here even further, and that is really a load off my mind and heart. Pray specifically, when you pray...you'll be amazed at the specificity of God's response sometimes.

We have tons of movies to review, including Brokeback Mountain, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Ice Harvest, Junebug, and many more, but I think they will have to wait. For an astonishingly accurate 30-second re-enactment of Brokeback Mountain, performed by cartoon bunnies, go here. This is definitely a spoiler alert, because this is EXACTLY HOW THE MOVIE WENT, right down to the end. I'm not even joking. Aside from the bunnies, this IS the movie. Thanks, Melissa--I hadn't realized they had bunnified this one yet.

And finally, at least for now, be aware that Barnes & Noble is having a monster of a sale right now, so while you're pre-ordering Pauly's book, you should definitely take advantage of it. Since I became a Barnes & Noble affiliate (that's right, if you go to B&N from a link on my site, and order anything, I get a tiny bit of money--so please do! And yes, I could have become an Amazon.com affiliate, but I have issues with them), I get email updates about their current sales, and the one for "previous bestsellers" looked really good. So the other day when we were out, I stopped by the Barnes & Noble store in North Little Rock, thinking I'd pick up a couple of books, and this happened:But really, I am not to be blamed--they had fantastic books , including the hardcover editions, for $4-6 each! What am I, made of stone? And I mean EVERY genre was on sale, from kids' books (got some) to healthcare books (yoga and pilates, check--stop laughing; the cover said for "ALL levels of fitness"), to cookbooks (yes, needed help with 8 million things to do with chicken breasts before we all die of boredom), to novels (check) to biographies (YES--Roald Dahl's "Boy!"), to non-fiction (yes, Amy Tan!)...it goes on and on. I'm not sure how long this sale lasts, but shipping is free for any order over $25, and you should definitely click on this icon
Half-Price Bookstore
and go there now and put much-needed pennies in my pocket in the process. But seriously, I would never shill for anything I do not personally use and wholeheartedly endorse, so I'm not just yanking your chain here. Ask Alex about the "Candy You Ate As A Kid" icon in my sidebar and the delivery here, two days after it went up, of an entire case of...well, he can tell you.

11 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read your lost blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the daughter of Magic, the filly must be a witch. How about Samantha (as in Bewitched)? (OK - I tried.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The filly is cute and adorable. I still like the Dreamsicle name, Dream as a shortened version? Goes with her birthday.

    I'm glad you found some hay and a home for one of the horses. Hopefully that will help a little.

    I'm looking forward to next week on your blog.

    I would probably come home iwth just as many books. I like to read, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really looking forward to this lost blog deal. I would have liked to participate, but I forgot about it and now I am lazy and preoccupied.

    Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rule girlfriend. Thanks for your help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link! Is B&N's sale still going on this week?? I'll be headed over to B&N.com shortly if so! Yay for answered prayers!! God is Good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE to barter:) I barter Agility equipment for all kinds of dog realted goodies including my last agility dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know Katie can think of worse things that I could spend money on, but if I came home with two bags that size full of books, she might just kill me.

    I've got enough sitting at home already that needs to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello from Patriotic Cowgirl. Visiting through Pia.

    Looks like the grey in the pic is an Arabian! I'm particular to them myself.

    Another farm person! I'm glad I am not the only one posting about horses and chickens.

    Hay has been no problem for me. Thank goodness. But I live in the Midwest.

    Adorable filly. Shetland or welsh? Kinda looks like a sabino.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so neat when God takes care of the details!

    Your blog game should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Weird. Just before I came to your blog I was thinking I need to buy some new books. I'll click over to B&N as soon as I finish this.
    As an agnostic, I must say, I strongly believe in the power of prayer & 100 studies couldn't convince me that the prayer of strangers doesn't change things. I know 1st hand that God is a loving God who hears the prayers of strangers when we don't know how or what to pray.
    That baby pony is sooo cute! It looks very fluffy.

    ReplyDelete