Saturday, April 29, 2006

The "Field" Trip

Because we've been stuck inside today, weathering a deluge of Biblical proportions, I can post about our day with cousin Shannon hauling hay.

It was actually late afternoon on Easter, and as I've spoken of here before, our horses are starving for grass on the side of this rock where we now live. At the suggestion of my grandmother, I had called her brother, my uncle, Harold. Harold has--wait for it--a HAY FARM. Yeah. That's right. And it didn't occur to me to call him up and see if, maybe, I dunno...he had some HAY. Well, I did, and he didn't, but he said he'd ask around. It wasn't two hours later before I got a phone call from Shannon, who is actually a distant cousin of mine, and who I remember from years ago in the Arabian horse club as a sweet, sweet young girl in love with horses and showing, with a kind heart and a soft hand with a horse. Now she's all grown up and *sob* having her own baby! Anyway, she said that she had a barn full of Harold's hay that she wouldn't be needing, and I was welcome to it. After the month of "Sorry, no" I'd been hearing, I nearly cried. Heck, I might have, I don't remember.

So, we loaded up and drove the 40 miles or so to Shannon's farm. I nearly had an apoplectic fit of jealousy at the acres of lush greenness.She also had some neat animals, and now I really want a donkey. I think this one's name was "Lester."And an adorable miniature horse...And then when we got to the actual hay field, there were deer! Harold feeds them from great big ol' feeders, and does not allow hunting on his property, so the deer are living the good life.Bella was beside herself with all the wide-open space.Alex and I mostly just sneezed, and after a lot of hard work on the part of Alex and Shannon's husband, we had the first load of our reward ready to go. Oh, how green it was, and how lovely it smelled! (Achoo!)Bella most definitely thought she was the foreman of this operation.Do I think the horses appreciated the effort? They didn't even wait for us to stop the truck, much less unload the trailer, before they were grabbing mouthsful!All in all, a successful day, and we'll be going back for more. Thanks, Shannon! The entire photo set here, if you like.

10 comments:

  1. I saw your pics on Flickr and the ha would make our horses jealous. We have such brown and stiff hay right now. We need rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah!

    Demon horse!

    DEMON HORSE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY FOR HAY!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pics. And that donkey was just so cute!
    I like your new banner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sneezed? I would have near died. Spring allergies suck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those miniature horses. Mrs. Fab won't let me have one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the first rider of the four horsemen was thrown off for some hay!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. More like devil horse...: ) Great pics! Love the day at the farm and that cute little pony and Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want a cousin Shannon...

    : (


    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have interesting stuff on your site about all this. My sister-in-law is a champion horsebreeder in Oklahoma and I rode horses as a kid. My English sister was actually in competition, but I haven't ridden a horse for a while. That last horse looks like it had glowing eyes, brrrrgghh. Scary.

    ReplyDelete