Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Migraine That Wouldn't Die, And The Toddler That Wouldn't Sleep

*Note--wrote this in the wee hours of this morning, and neglected to post it, I'm assuming, from the exhaustion:

I have to think it's something to do with sinus and allergies, but still...we had an emergency doctor visit yesterday afternoon for the headache, I spent the entire day yesterday and the night before that and the day before that alternating between being in pain and being in a drugged stupor, and I'm going back in a few hours to see if they can do anything about the painful pressure in my ears (steroids, here we come, I'm guessing).

AND Bella is up. I have no explanation for this; it's quite odd. She was up at an early hour yesterday, so she really should have gone right to sleep...we didn't even put her to bed until 9:30, and she's gotten into a nice pattern of going cooperatively to bed lately. But when I went to see what all the racket on the monitor was at 1:30 a.m., she hurriedly hustled to lie down in her little precious bed and cover up. I knelt to talk to her, see if anything was wrong, and she was just fine. She asked, "Did you hear me playing with my toys?" I just said, "Well, I heard a lot of noise when you should be sleeping." I reached to smooth her blanket, and my mother will be thrilled to hear that I found the entire furnishings from Dora's Talking House, as well as several members of Dora's family, under the covers with her.

As I started to clear away the toys, she protested, and began wailing, "But I just wanted to play with my TOYYYYYYS!" I told her no, bid her goodnight, and shut the door. The wailing got louder, and set off sympathetic wailing from the puppies. And then she got up and started baning on the door, which got all the grown-up dogs going. At this point, I can't risk Alex's sleep, especially since he spent the previous day tending to me and my stupid migraine and keeping Bella occupied.

And that, my friends, is why I am writing this at 2:30 in the morning, while rocking Bella on the glider and watching muted "Scooby Doo." Which is even creepier that "Scooby Doo" with sound. And that's saying something. I keep waiting for Bella's head to get heavy, for her to fall asleep...no luck yet. And this, again, is weird, because the rocking usually does it for her, and has been a reliable last resort. I just hope I don't have to stay awake until time for the doctor's appointment...or that Bella does. Because that child, on too-little sleep? NOT FUN. Especially in public. When I tried appealing to her common sense and telling her we had to get up early to go see Dr. J. (not Julius Erving), she had this whole argument prepared, the premise of which was that we could party tonight, sleep in tomorrow, and then go see the doctor at night. A confirmed night-owl already. Great. If this keeps up, I'm going to start reading her some vampire stories.

And, I just now remembered, I never posted the results of my Johari window. I think you can keep adding to it, if you like, but here it is to date (I find the words that no one chose the most telling part of the thing, if you wanna know the truth):

Arena

(known to self and others)

giving, idealistic, intelligent, loving, sentimental, sympathetic

Blind Spot

(known only to others)

accepting, adaptable, bold, brave, caring, cheerful, clever, complex, confident, friendly, happy, helpful, ingenious, introverted, kind, knowledgeable, logical, mature, modest, nervous, observant, proud, reflective, religious, searching, self-assertive, sensible, silly, spontaneous, trustworthy, warm, wise, witty

Fa├žade

(known only to self)

Unknown

(known to nobody)

able, calm, dependable, dignified, energetic, extroverted, independent, organised, patient, powerful, quiet, relaxed, responsive, self-conscious, shy, tense

All Percentages

able (0%) accepting (9%) adaptable (6%) bold (9%) brave (12%) calm (0%) caring (46%) cheerful (3%) clever (25%) complex (12%) confident (3%) dependable (0%) dignified (0%) energetic (0%) extroverted (0%) friendly (28%) giving (15%) happy (3%) helpful (3%) idealistic (6%) independent (0%) ingenious (12%) intelligent (40%) introverted (3%) kind (25%) knowledgeable (21%) logical (3%) loving (50%) mature (3%) modest (3%) nervous (3%) observant (18%) organised (0%) patient (0%) powerful (0%) proud (9%) quiet (0%) reflective (6%) relaxed (0%) religious (28%) responsive (0%) searching (9%) self-assertive (9%) self-conscious (0%) sensible (6%) sentimental (21%) shy (0%) silly (6%) spontaneous (3%) sympathetic (12%) tense (0%) trustworthy (25%) warm (25%) wise (6%) witty (50%)

Created by the Interactive Johari Window on 21.3.2006, using data from 32 respondents.
You can make your own Johari Window, or view NinjaPoodles's full data.

In closing, good night, and wish me luck.

**Update: Without Alex here to rouse me, slept right through today's stinkin' appointment. And Bella didn't deign to awaken at any normal hour, either, having finally fallen unconscious on the loveseat in front of the fireplace sometime between 3-4:00 AM. So now I need to reschedule that, because my ears still feel like I'm either ascending or descending on a commercial airliner.

10 comments:

  1. I hope you were able to get to a doctor today and get some relief. Pain is not fun, I was up anytime I moved last night with my back and almost crying when I turned at all.

    After herniating two disks a couple years ago and dealing with sciatic pain for almost a year after, pain is not fun. I'm hoping tonight is better and I can move more tomorrow, so I can make it to tracking lessons.

    Hope you can get a good night's sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers are with you. I hope you are now resting comfortably and you can boast a snoozing Bella as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget the doctor... somebody needs a Scooby Snack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel better my friend. Migraines are awful (have you tried Imitrex?) and add ear pain and allergies to that and, well, I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, toots. So sorry. Here: a present for you and Bella - I'm sending some (hushed voice here - lean in) "Super Magic Fairy Gold Dust" that you sprinkle over Miss Bella. Be sure not to get it on ya, but if you do, then be sure to inhale deeply as it acts as "Super Magic Fairy Migraine Dust", so it works on BOTH.

    Sorry. That last word was loud, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you get into the doc and can get some relief, SOON. Is there any link to the migraines and withdrawl from the previous meds? How is that going? Or, is it just the seasonal allergy stuff that's causing all the ruckus. I have allergies coming on too...feeling the pressure but mostly just tired myself and tired of people in the office, etc. etc. A surly one.
    Gosh, although the timing wasn't so right, Bella is so cute, rousing the dogs in your home community...playing Dora at the wee hours. Natalie's getting more vocal about her want for a dog. On the way in this morning, she mentioned "it's not fair" again. I'm with her but we're just not ready, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be even creepier if it was a muted Scrappy Doo. Actually, that might be a bit of a dream come true at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Migraines are one of a zillion reasons why I don't have kids.

    I don't know how you moms do it. When I'm laid low by a migraine, the kid would starve or worse yet, I kill 'em just to get some quiet.

    Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim--I got the medication, and that was the main thing. I still need to see the doc for the sinus stuff, before it turns to infection. And no way would I trade migraine for chronic back pain, so I feel bad for you! I don't know how you do all the stuff you do!

    shannon, thanks--it got better!

    dave--are you soliciting drugs, here?

    kristina, thanks--Imitrex makes all my capillaries explode, as I discovered years ago at the emergency room, where I wound up getting shots of epi and other stuff after having a baaaaaad reaction to the Imitrex injection I'd given myself just previously!

    mochaaaaaah, thankee kindy. You called me "toots." heh.

    Mr. Fab: How about "patient--0%?" *ouch*

    michelle, thanks...and please don't tell me Nat's already at the "it's not FAIR" stage? Oh, NO! Bella hasn't hit that one yet. I can't wait. We do have a lot of "But WHYYYEEEEEE?" which I guess is similar.

    kevin--I think you might be asleep right *now*.

    Pat--you can't, not once you've been given the knockout drugs, which is why Alex had to stay with me that first day. If I can catch them early enough to knock the "edge" off, then they're manageable. And so far, Bella is really respectful of "Mommy's head hurts," and tries to be quiet and extra snuggly. Wonder how long that will last?

    ReplyDelete