Friday, March 24, 2006

I Like My Sister Better Than Brownies


And that's saying something. She was over for a visit today with her son, and Bella's most favorite of all people in the world, Grayson, age 8. He's a supergenius (well, naturally, right?), and a lot of fun, and When Bella opened the door and saw him there, she SHRIEKED with delight. Seriously! When's the last time anyone shrieked or even squealed with pure, unadulterated joy at your mere presence? I can tell you I don't recall the last time it happened to me!

I love my family, and I am really crazy about my sister and her little clan. I love just talking to her, about anything, and especially love that she will laugh at anything that I even act like is supposed to be funny. That's the beauty of a younger sibling. We only live about 5-7 miles apart, but I swear, my ideal setup would be a 20-acre plot, with Andrea and I each having a house built in the squa middle of our own 10 acres. Oh, yeah, and our Mom would be right up at the front, OR she could just take turns going between our houses. We could totally share custody of Mom. Our husbands are spookily alike in many ways, and very compatible, so I'm sure they could stay happily occupied working out on the Bowflex to 70's rock music that might make mine and my sister's ears bleed, and doing "projects" with loud, expensive tools.A & G were only here for a couple of hours, and for me it was like a vacation or a spa visit, so refreshing it felt! What I'm saying is, I was happier when she left than I was before she came. And that's a nice relationship.

And the cousin thing! I love the cousin thing! Since Andrea and I have somehow both been hit with the mysterious complaint that is "secondary infertility," it appears as though Grayson and Bella may ultimately have only each other as "siblings." And I'm so glad that they do have each other. He's a neat kid, is my nephew, and all boy. I'm always amazed that within minutes of his arrival, he has my little diva, my princess, my girly-girl, running around the yard, tackling him, and whacking random stuff with sticks. So far, she hasn't convinced him to play dress-up, and the only Grayson-related interaction I've seen with Dora's Talking House involved some sort of household civil war that included the characters and furniture being used as missiles of some kind. It's nice that even though I have a little girl, I can vicariously enjoy the experience of raising a boy. And having my ninjas chase him.
The only mishap came when Andrea was trying to leave--this is always difficult with Grayson saying "no," and running away, and Bella wailing with despair and hanging on Andrea's legs--when Bella tripped on a limb and fell down as she and Grayson came across the yard. As he tried to help her up, she somehow hit the ground again, and wound up scuffing both her sweet little cheeks. At that first cry, I knew what was coming...this was one of those plaintive wails that meant that a boo-boo had been sustained that only Mommy could soothe. I took my first step forward as I heard her draw her breath and cry out..."ANDREEEEEAAAAAA! ANDREEEEEAAAAAH!" That's right. Not "Mommy." But those're the breaks, when your sister is as lovable as mine is.

Oh, and Bella's version of the accident, at that time? "Grayson stepped on my face." Spoken with much sincerity and seriousness. She now denies not only that account of event, but that she ever said such a thing. And really. Does this look like the kind of kid who would step on your face? Even accidentally?

19 comments:

  1. Tell me, when are you going to have a picture of yourself up here? Has there been one? Cute sister, too. Good looking kids. That Bella is a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right off the top of my head, I know there are pics of me in the 10/20/2005 post on Bella's birthday. Many ALMOST current!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww - I want to have a baby! My sister and I are 9 years apart, and I wish we were closer than we are. It's wonderful that you can take such an active part in your sister's life and let Bella grow up with Grayson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, sadly, no one ever shrieks with pleasure at my arrival.

    Horror. They shriek with horror.

    At least that's something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww so sweet! Grayson is growing up SO fast! It seems like yesterday that he was a toddler walking around the office.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! I love happy posts, especially about family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute a picture of the two of them! I can't remember when anyone has ever shreiked to see me recently ... I have to go as far back as when I came to my cousin's house when she was about 3, and I was about 13, and she was so excited that she ran clear across the room and jumped into my arms. She's 26 now, and I'm well, you do the math. ;-)

    Infertility is awful, and stressful, we went through it to get pg the first time, and unless a miracle occurs, she'll be our only. And I'm okay with that, but it took a while to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is wonderful that you and Andrea have such a close relationship...but of course why wouldn't you? You are both fabulous people!

    I am flat on my back, knees propped up on pillows trying to type with my laptop in the air...what a site I must be! My right hip went out last night and I don't mean that it has gone dancing. It sucks to get old unless you are getting a "senior" discount. My hip actually sorta slides out of it's socket. It's done this a few times before...but thankfully it doesn't happen very often. My chiropractor husband has worked on it but I still can't move much without hurting...what a way to get out of doing the laundry, putting away dishes and going grocery shopping...Hal is doing all of that this morning! Bless his heart. It looks like that I will definitely get to do some reading. My body has decided to take a vacation...maybe it is telling me something.
    I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. donna--Ugh! Although, that's how I use my laptop 90% of the time. Any cause for the hips acting funky? Mine have been slipping ever since I was pregnant...I will roll over in bed, my leg won't come with me right away, then momentum finally brings it, and you hear a POP! Fun. But if you're "old," then that's the kind of old I wanna be. I don't even have the energy of my mother!

    indigo--several of us have promised to squeal and jump up and down upon seeing each other at BlogHer this summer. If you're going to be there, I promise to cut you in on the squeal action!

    Sheryl, I just love when you show up here! I do hope you're feeling better. Think about you lots. (Heal, legs, HEAL!)

    melissa, I KNOW. You are still supposed to be 12, at most. And now it's Bella that toddles around the office. See how cruel it is, the whole growing up thing? How mean of you to do that to your mother instead of staying under 4 feet tall and 10 years of age.

    Mr. Fab--try leaving the tiger home.

    erin--I want you to have one, too, because it will be wicked CUTE! (that is, wickedly cute, not in any way wicked) And poodles and we babes go SO well together. Have you seen the pictures of Baby Bella licking puppies? I think it might be in that same post I referenced to digi above.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! Your (plural) kids are so beautiful! Funny though how their both blonde and all the parents are dark! Are any of the grandparents blonde?

    ReplyDelete
  11. cece, Yup. Our dads were/are. And Alex is a blue-eyed blonde. Although neither of G's parents are, they each carry one recessive from their fathers, as do I. And guess what we alllll contributed? Yup. Genetics. What a game!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great to have a sister like that. My sister and I are very close and did everything together in high school. We do still work together for our dad, so our whole family is pretty close:o)

    I have 2 sisters and both of them have 2 girls each. You should hear them all squeal when they see each other or their Auntie. We all live in town so visits are often and birthdays,other holidays, and anytime we get together for dinner are huge gatherings for us.

    Not to mention our best friend that we grew up with since we were toddlers, she has a little boy that gets thrown in with all the girls and gets a little lost at times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome! beautiful family. give bella a noogie for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great story. and, well, yes he does like the kind of kid who would sep on your face-- BY ACCIDENT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great post. The cousins are so cute together! Your daughter is adorable. (I love the pic at the game with her finger in the air - what a crackup!!)

    I dig my sister too and wished she lived much much closer. (Or better yet, us closer to them...they live in a nicer part of the country!...)

    So glad I found your blog! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's LOVELY! About your sister and your relationship and the kids being cousins and all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor Grayson. Me thinks he's been framed, framed I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What will Bella come up with next? If she anything like mine, there NO TELLING what will come out of her mouth!

    And poor Grayson, he just doesn't look like the type to step on someones face.

    ReplyDelete