Friday, February 10, 2006

Semi-Frozen Water Falling From The Sky?

Click on pics to enlarge.What's this? What's this?It's falling on my tongue!Poor, snow-deprived kid. No such thing as global warming, my hind leg. I don't have the heart to tell her it'll be gone within 24 hours, if anything sticks at all. Notice the Arkansas snow outfit? Nemo pajamas, ultrasuede boots, and a size-too-small parka. (We went to Colorado, where they have snow and cold, that year.) It's Arkansas, yes, so schools are closing, roads are closing, grocery stores are being emptied in a "There Will Never Be Food Available For Sale Again" frenzy, and everyone who can possibly get on the road is there, driving erratically and aimlessly in a state of panic you'd expect during Armageddon, because SEMI-FROZEN WATER IS FALLING FROM THE SKY. There are many crashes.

It's very wet, though, and the ground is so warm that it will melt promptly. Still, I'm watching from in here. It's not only pretty, but this is a prime spot to see anyone careening down my curvy driveway before they smash into my house.Anyhow, here is some of what we wound up with:Still loving the weeping holly,and also the yucca.No idea.I don't know what variety of holly this is, but there are many of them, and they are very, very pretty.Two disgruntled equines hiding behind the hay; Arabian Misha on the left and black Shetland pony Magic on the right...Magic's due date to foal is today, and she is not pleased. She looks like she's gonna hold out for a while, though, which is fine with me.And this, which snuck out the back door while I was busy, but fortunately set off a motion sensor so that I caught her coming around the front, all a-sodden, with lunchtime pudding remnants still on her face, asking, "But WHYYYY?" when I said she had to come in and dry off.

16 comments:

  1. Awwww too cute. We started off with drizzle, then bonafide snow, and currently drizzle. I don't think my 3-year-old is EVER going to get to try her Osh Kosh snow bibs she got for Christmas '04!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny reading this post after the lecture I delivered on my blog early today. You've had as much snow as us this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly didn't even know it snowed in Arkansas. It looks like Bella loves it!

    Good luck with Magic. Hope to see adorable baby foal pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. she's too cute belinda. i'm serious. put her back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are supposed to have the totally frozen light-and-flaky version of that junk tomorrow. It has gotten way, way old, despite the fact that we have had a 6-week respite from the stuff.

    Here's to movin' back to the Saahhth REAL soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, it's hardly snowing in Wisconsin this winter...we should be up to our chins in the stuff by now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always amazes me how people here in Arkansas panic and run to the store at the mere mention of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my folks back in mississippi emailed a slew of pictures of the white fluffy stuff as if i actually want more of it. HA! wisconsin has been, thus far, a little low on the white fluffy stuff and i have to say that i like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jamie, I know! That little snow outfit she got for the CO ski trip is still pristine!

    andrea, I haven't seen yours yet, gotta go look!

    elizabeth--it does, mostly in NW AR, but when I was a kid we used to get at least one or two great snows a year. We had sleds and everything. No more. :-(

    jen, put her back WHERE? You are too funny.

    stef, ain't it funny how much we all want what we ain't got?

    jess, I have often thought about what it would be like to keep horses up there. LOTS of work!

    fox, I KNOW. When you go in, and there's no bread, no milk...what are people thinking? I mean, really--when was the last time people in this state were really snowed in for more than a day? 20 years ago? 30? Sheesh. And now the roads will crack when they thaw. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun - for her!

    I, for one, could live without ever seeing the white stuff again. I'm not far from you (Tulsa) and we've been lucky not having a bad winter. It's been great; Valentine's Day will be 60. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. jac, I can't believe there is snow in MS and not in WI. That's wild!

    cmc, I would like one or two good snows a year, just for Bella. The kind that stick around for at least 2-3 days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Belinda, weird global change indeed. Here in our southern Ontario city we have had our first stick-on-the-ground snow since Christmas today, and it is sparser than what is in your pics!
    It's ok by me, but we should be worried, I think.
    There is a new "feature" on my site called "Cello Player of the Day" which may interest you (and maybe Bella as well-there are pics)vis-a-vis our music chat.
    Have FUN Bella, sweetie, while the snow lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You get snow like WE get snow here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! How pretty. Wish we could get some white here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. While your snow is beautiful, and a pristine white, up here (AK) the snowberms are brownish this time of year, since they've been around since October gathering dust and debris. They are UGLY - yours (especially the holly pictures) are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete