Thursday, February 23, 2006

It's All In The Comments

Before we get down to the nitty-gritty, let's just make sure we're all doing a couple of things. Is everyone--and I mean everyone with a blog registering and claiming their blog at Technorati? Yes? All right then. Now, does everyone have their blog registered at TTLB? What's that? I think I heard some mumbling. If you don't, please go to The Truth Laid Bear Ecosystem and add your blog. It just takes a second. Making your presence known on these two websites helps us all to help each other draw more traffic and get the attention that insecure, validation-seeking neurotics like us crave so much. And really, I've been slithering soooo long. I'm desperate to sprout wings and fly. Help a sister out, wouldja?

And now, a few things I want to make note of before they are forever lost in the shuffle.

First, my husband wrote a post that started out being all about sports, and wound up being a sentimental and sweet treatise on father/son relationships, that made pretty much my whole family cry. Check it out. particularly the comments, in which you get not only the rarity of comments from both our mothers on the same post, but the added awesomeness that is my mom using phrases such as "aggressive on the boards." Hoops-slang from a grandmother is something special.

And Pat Kirby posted a great topic for conversation among any of us who enjoy books, movies, or television (and really, who does that leave?) Please stop by her place, get into those comments, and discuss the characters who are your favorite "second fiddles." It's the Sidekick Roundup over at Pat's Place!

Just before Sweetney got all swept up in New Orleans fever, there was a great discussion going on her blog in the comments of a post about literature, the theme being "Everyone Should Read_________", which was itself borne of an immensely broad discussion of the same topic here. I know I've added some must-reads to my personal list. (Margalit, you may not be able to participate in this one, for fear of your brain exploding at the thought of narrowing down a "must read" list to any kind of a managable number.)

And now the killer-diller. And I ain't talkin' about Jerry Lee Lewis. It was a simple enough post on Julia's site about a great easy pasta dish she made as a quick dinner for her family, and then she asked her readers what they liked to "throw together" for dinner. The response has been overwhelming. Go take a look at "Dinner In Minutes." Print out these recipe-loaded comments, and you will not have to plan a meal for the rest of the year.

Oh, and give The Shuttered Eye as many clicks as you can before he leaves us. Thumbnail in the sidebar.

Belinda--being an insomniac lunatic, so you don't have to. Tonight it shall be Lunesta at 9PM, and I will hopefully be out, my lovelies. So pray you don't see me skulking about.

14 comments:

  1. aaaaack! the link for dinners and the sidekick round-up don't work! i must know! where are they??!!

    help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK! All fixed, just for you, my dear! I just had some code wrong for Dinner In Minutes (you'll have to scroll down a few comments to get to the serious foodie talk), but I plumb lost my mind with Pat's links, and had them going to some 3rd-year med student's musings. What the?! But it's good now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I found some good recipes in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome. I was hoping there would be a similar flood of recipes from your brownie post, darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, and I would like to make it to Crawly Amphibian....hell, with all the frogs in this house, you would think I would at least rank that!

    I have something like 18 people linking to me, and they are not showing at TTLB. I took the link off of my front page a few weeks ago, and I lost 2000 places. I put it back up a couple of days ago and low and behold I am climbing again.

    Still, some that ARE registered and link to me are not showing up. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jody, it took something like 2 full days for Alex's link to me to show up. I don't know how often they "scan," but maybe that has something to do with it. Just keep harrassing everyone who links to you to add their blog. It really is good for everyone! I find new blogs there all the time! And eventually, the people who keep coming back and commenting here will usually find their way to my blogroll, because if they can stand me, that generally means we have stuff in common, and I like them, too. :-) But I don't update the list too terribly often. Should do that more, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops... signing up at both places now. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay okay okay! i did them both. now what?

    thanks for fixin those links, dear! yay! easy dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belinda, tell the truth. You do want to quit me. You're pretending you want to sprout wings and fly, but you just don't want to be a slithering slimy thing next to me anymore. I'm so sad. My feelings are hurt. I might have to go eat a butterfinger.

    Everyone, add me and Belinda to your blog rolls. The more links we get, the more likely it is that we'll get beyond the slime. She needs 7 more links. I do too. So add us. It can't hurt and then we'll both be able to fly free!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WWK & Jen--Thanks! You'll see; it'll pay off. And it's fun to watch yourself climb up from "Insignificant Microbe!"

    margalit--Quit YOU? How can I escape? I've been following you up the ecosystem, so I would assume that, should I ever actually pull ahead, you'd be right behind me! I had no idea how many more links it would take, but I know that not everyone uses TTLB, because according to Technorati, I have links from 95 sites, and on TTLB I have links from like, 35 sites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I signed up for the eco system thing. I take direction well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I signed up at both places and added both Margalit to my blogroll (short though it is) as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all of the interesting links.I'm going to head over and see what's good to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, you little cheater. YOu just are sick of being my best buddy in slithering and wanted to quit me. So now you're a bird and I have to beg my readers for three more measley links so I can join you up in the flapping wings category. The noive of you to leave me behind.

    Belinda's readers, add me to your blogroll just so we can be neighbors again. She can explain it all.

    ReplyDelete