Tuesday, February 21, 2006

internets: help! there are people in my house!

And I am mildly freaking out. Just a little, though. I did have to take a Klonopin, and I've peeled off every last one of my fingernails, and I'm grinding my teeth into nubs, but I'm holding it together and retreating to my trusty laptop. I'm "hiding" in the bedroom with Bella snuggled up to me and ignoring all the clumping, sawing, stomping and yelling back and forth. It perhaps doesn't help that I'm on the last slow ragged road to Effexor independence this week. Fewer and fewer granulitos each day now, Alice.

Oh--I'm not actually under siege or anything (that's just what my brain is trying to tell itself). It's just the new security system being installed. We're in enough of a remote location that my husband and my mother kind of insisted on it. At least we'll know when Bella sneaks out of the house now, which she has gotten very good at. And as I understand it, if the house catches on fire while we're not here, why, we'll know that it's burning down, wherever we are.

But seriously? I could puke right now. They're sawing. A lot. I hear the sound of drywall (freshly painted drywall) being torn asunder, and am forcing myself not to look. And most of all, they're just...here. Walking all over the place making me nervous. I would take pictures, but that would interfere with my holing up. But ultimately, they will have to come in here to install a keypad, so it isn't even that good a hiding place.

In other news, we seem to have a squirrel problem. Are there cats mean enough to take on squirrels? And if so, where can I get some? Just my luck, I have ninja squirrels.

9 comments:

  1. Just get a couple of Jack Russells. They'll take care of your squirrels:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's JUST what I need! I'm afraid that, while I do love and admire the terrier breeds, I just don't have what it takes to be a "terrier person." I have to have highly adaptable dogs who are content to either go all day OR (more likely around here) lie about like couch potatoes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack Russells are cute as buttons and a tad too spastic for me. Despite the Rat Dog's obvious terrier heritage, she's a mellow little beasty.

    Our greyhound used to do an admirable job of chasing squirrels. He, however, couldn't do much once they climbed something. When we live in Walla Walla, the squirrels used the telephone wires as a highway, traversing to and fro, and hurling insults down at the greyhound.

    Actually, it was kinda funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents' australian shepards did wonders for driving away SOME of the squirrel population.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Jack Russell Terriers would be perfect for catching the squirrels And? chewing holes through your freshly painted drywall, which would save the Brinks guys the trouble. JR's are cute but very busy! The only thing worse than the security system install is a new roof. The banging never stops. And I don't mean that in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What company are you using for your security system? Just curious since I used to work for one.

    That would bother me too for people to have the run of my house. I don't even like it when the doorbell rings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know a certain worthless pet that catches squirrels and more. And my former cat used to leave us presents of squirrel tails and skinned bodies. It was the thought that counts, right?

    Get yourself a couple of barn cats. They're pretty easy to find, and your climate isn't that harsh that you couldn't leave them in the barn full time. With barn cats, you just have them fixed and basically let them at the wildlife. If you don't feed them, they'll feed themselves. But they eat birds, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, the violation of your home by contractors...I know the feeling well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you get the right Terrier they aren't too bad. We have been showing some PRT's and Smooth Fox and they are both very easy to live with (and the SFT took care of our mole problem last summer without chemicals!!). But I am used to the busy herding dog personality.

    ReplyDelete