Sunday, February 12, 2006

Bey Sharose (Bey Shah x HA Rosetta), 1980-2006

Our Rosa left us this weekend. She had been failing for some time, but I just had not been able to make that difficult decision to put her down. She is the first horse I have ever lost, and there is something very humbling in seeing the end of such a large, powerful, sensual creature.

Rosa was not a "cuddly" mare. She was aloof, often cranky, and a little curmudgeonly. She was impossible to photograph flatteringly. She did not want to be your friend, she just wanted to be fed and sheltered and left mainly to her own devices. In spite of this, she had impeccable stable manners, always a perfect lady for the vet, farrier, or anyone else. And what she did best was to produce amazing foals, and mother them perfectly. We didn't have her long, having acquired her from the wonderful Paul and Liz Smith of Sunset Valley Arabians in 2001, in foal to their breathtaking stallion, Major AA. The next year brought the produce of that breeding, the filly "Major Emotion," also known as our lovely Kate.Rosa was bred that year to another stallion, and the following year to our own stallion, with no results either time. We then moved her in with Montrachet so they could keep each other company in their golden years. It was the summer of 2005 when the senior citizens presented us with THIS surprise.

Thank you, dear Rosa, for leaving us, and others, your lasting legacy, in forms such as these:
"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan."
--Irving Townsend

16 comments:

  1. Wow, she had beautiful foals. Who was that little one with the huge blaze and the 4 white socks? Too adorable!

    I'm sorry that you lost Rosa. Will she be buried on your new property?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. I always freak out when a pet friend dies. Hope you all are coping well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post and tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to believe that Rosa was older than I am by 3 years! What a beautiful horse she was!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. What's the surprise baby's name? I LIKE his unique face marking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful horse. Her personality sounds identical to my Cheeta. She sure had beautiful babies. I know you'll miss her a lot & I'm thankful she was loved by your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. marg--they were all, except for Misha and the pony, still at the other place. We moved them today, as planned I don't know what I'll do when I have one die out here, because the ground is solid rock. Rosa will be buried near the pond in the pasture where she lived out her last years. It was hard bringing that colt over here without his mommy. Fortunately, he was well past weaning age, so it hasn't been overly traumatic. We are hustling to find someone to get out there with a backhoe in the morning. No luck finding anyone on a weekend, and (warning-gory detail) some carnivorous animals have already been at her body. it's awful.

    But yes, she did produce VERY well. That gelding shown under saddle is a National Top Ten Western Pleasure Junior Owner To Ride horse, and is a full brother to our Kate. And while Kate is not for sale, you can own her full sister, Gracie (in pics #2 and #7), for that spare $20 grand you have lying around!

    celena, thanks. Like I said, she wasn't especially "snuggly," but she had an air about her that demanded respect. Now, when Montrachet goes (he's only a year younger), and when I lose Misha, don't be surprised if I drop off the face of the earth for a while. They are FAMILY.

    anon--thank you. Horses are so fragile.

    melissa, I know. You know, she was out of the legendary Bey Shah's VERY FIRST foal crop! The baby, we're thinking something like "Music of the Night" for a registered name, because of his "phantom" mask.

    jane--thank you. I did all right until I got out to where she was (hidden in tall grass) and saw that her body had been...damaged. Then I kind of lost it, but I had the bigger task at hand of getting the colt away from her and moved over here, so I switched into "doing" mode. Maybe it's good that the first horse I lost wasn't one I've had from birth (Misha) or for 12 years (Montrachet).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

    RIP, Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks, laurie-girl. Intellectually, you think, "I'm not even that attached to this stand-offish mare," and "At least, given her age, we know it's coming..." but it still hits hard. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  10. man, i'm so so sorry. she was a beautiful lady. take care of yourself, and know you were the best friend to her you could've been, and did all you could to make her too short life here a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The little one in picture #5 is standing so tall that at first I thought she (?) was jumping in the air. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belinda, my condolences. In the fall, my mama lost her first-and-only horse, a sweet old gelding rescue horse named Blaze, and it's still hard for us to talk about it. It doesn't necessarily matter if they're standoffish or not. They're so magical, so special, so strong. That was a lovely tribute, hon. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is just beautiful, and so sad. I think you honor them more in your lovely shared memories of them. Honestly, I think fate must have guided your hand in not intervening in their deaths. Their time came on its own. What a gorgeous mare she was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just beautiful, and so sad. I think you honor them more in your lovely shared memories of them. Honestly, I think fate must have guided your hand in not intervening in their deaths. Their time came on its own. What a gorgeous mare she was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. your royal sweetness--thank you. 26 is a pretty good age for a horse, longer than average, but still. Your words are comforting.

    e--she really had great babies.

    stef--thanks. I guess in a way it's good that my first equine loss wasn't one of my "heart horses," but somehow I don't think it will make those times any easier, when they do come.

    zelda--thank you. I just hope I don't mess it up, one way or another, the next time. It's such a hard call to make.

    ReplyDelete