Before we get started, please, especially if you haven't yet, look to the right and click on the pretty pink thumbnail that will take you to Mrs. Aginoth's site, which documents the challenges and triumphs of a British mum with a handful of kids and a busy mind. My page will stay open while you visit her. Go, now--scoot!
I was tagged by the sublime Ariel, "in honor of [my] supreme eccentricity," (I'm really hoping he meant to say "eclecticism," and was simply in a hurry and made an oversight) to complete the "5 Weird Habits" meme that is going around. Had anyone else asked, I might have ignored it, but since I can refuse Ariel nothing, especially now that he's going to be a daddy for the first time, I'll give it a whirl. I may have a hard time confining myself to only five.
1. The sound of other people chewing--wet, smacky, clacky chewing-- makes me want to remove my own head with a forceful twisting motion just to keep from hearing it any more. Especially cereal, which has the possibility of slurping AND crunching, and especially over the phone, a practice which should be monitored and punishable by a series of ever-increasing fines. Restaurants should be relatively noisy just to keep me from running screaming into the night.
2. And speaking of food...in a regular meal, meaning the kind that is served on a plate, hot, and not in sandwich form, I have to have a tiny bit of everything in each bite. The correct order is meat, vegetable(s), starch (potatoes or rice or pasta), ending with bread, if bread is served. To my husband's great amusement, if I run out of just one of these items, I'm done with my meal. He also thinks it's bizarre that I could not in a million years eat just a plate of eggs. But I can't. Not without, at the very least, toast.
3. I sleep better with at least one dog in my bed. Two or more is even better.
4. As progressive as I am considered to be, in church, I am a traditionalist, particularly when it comes to congregational singing. I don't like the new "modern" choruses that are projected up onto the holy jumbo-tron for everyone to sing along with, and I dearly miss the old hymns, sung from a hymnal, with notes and harmony and a good old "Ahhhh-Mehhhnnn" at the very end. I miss singing entire hymns, with all the verses. Yep, I'm a church-music curmudgeon, grumbling about "those darn kids with their music."
5. If the head of my bed is against the same wall as the bedroom door (as it will be in the new house), I have to sleep on the side closest to the door. Note that I do not say I "prefer" to sleep on that side of the bed, I HAVE to. Or my head will explode, or I will at the very least make the lives of every sentient being within 100 feet of me an absolute misery until I am in my rightful spot. Been that way since childhood, and even sleeping alone, I do not occupy the center of a bed, but rather that side nearest the door.
Oh, there are SO many more! Ariel chose wisely. On a trail ride (on horseback), I have to ride in front. I am competitive to a ridiculous degree, and will throw ugly, childlike fits or pout when I lose a game. I have to have the AC on in the car year-round. I'm a control-freak to a ridiculous degree.
And what is tickling me about this exercise is that I could have just posted the absolute opposite of JenB's list: I hate wearing socks, I love fruits and chutneys and compotes and lovely grape/walnut salads, I love washing my hair, I adore old black & white movies (really, how can you live a proper and complete life without at least the Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart classics? One day I will tape Jen's eyes open and make her watch these things for HER OWN GOOD), and I love to have furniture arranged on an angle, if the room is large enough to accomodate it. BUT I LOVE JEN! Explain that, all you internet-brains!
At this point, I invite my mother, my sister, my husband, and anyone else who knows me to expound on this list in the comments section. I'm sure Alex will have something to say about my feet or bell peppers and onions later this evening.
And I won't tag anyone specifically, but if you have an oddity or two you'd like to air, now's the time to share it. Come on, come clean!