Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Act Like Ya Know.


If you subscribe to The Crisis magazine, you may vote online for the 2006 NAACP Image Awards. For whom, you ask? Aaron McGruder's "The Boondocks" in the Best Comedy Series category. Heck, for the Martin Luther King episode alone, but then add in last Sunday's "The Itis, " and just be impressed. Aaron McGruder says so many things that need to said, and that the rest of us lack the courage to say...he simply deserves the appreciation and attention to his message.

6 comments:

  1. Girl, I have loved Boondox since back in the DAY! It is about the ONLY thing I read in the silly college newspaper here, and it was the only thing that got me through the elections. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I heard Boondocks was making the transition from strip to small screen, I was thrilled. I think the MLK episode is definitely the best, so far. I wonder if Huey would go out with me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading it for years, I rank it up with Doonesbury in it's day. A great strip. You can see it here:

    Boondocks on Yahoo Comics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stef--I think it's worth picking up a copy of The Crisis off the newsstand just to get the voting code, if you're not a subscriber. He's up against some tough competition, including The Bernie Mac Show (which I love) and Everybody Hates Chris. I just think that NOW is a good time to be giving Aaron's message the spotlight.

    Molly--yup, it was a good one. I've often wondered what they'd think if MLK and JFK could come back today. They seemed so optimistic as to how things were changing. :-( And Huey? Heck, have you SEEN Aaron? Rowrrrrrr.

    Jon--thanks for the link. Y'all be sure to try to catch "The Itis" episode--a beautiful/tragic exposition on the how and why of urban blight, using soul food as a substitute for crack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you dislike internet advertising, you'll appreciate this alternative place to read Boondocks.

    michael

    ReplyDelete