Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Single-Syllable-Soul-Searching

I have been dared. And as we all know, one does not back down from a dare. What is the taunt, you ask? It is, friends, a dare made by a man of words, to write a post for my blog; a post which in its whole must not use a word, not one, which would call for more than one sound with which to speak it out loud. I am up to this task, I think--I will at the least try my best. (I would bet that my mom could do it, as well, and if she will try, I will post hers here, too.)

While my child, the dear one, stays this night with my mom, sleep, for me, is not yet to be had. Could this be due to the lack of my dear girl's sweet weight next to me in my bed, since this is where she would rest, if she were here? I know I miss her small kiss, and the hands that reach out to hug my neck in the night, while still she sleeps and does not wake.

There is, in her stead, in my bed, a large dog who does her best to make up the night's loss of the small dear girl, or to at least take up the space that would be the child's, were she here. There is a small dog too, but he is wont to use as small a space on the bed as he can, right next to the edge (and he has yet to fall off, much to our shock). My spouse sleeps and snores, and knows naught of my thoughts or deeds at this late hour. As a point of fact, said dogs snore as well, and are just as blind and deaf as to what might be on my mind or in my heart at this time--this time when no one should be up, least of all me.

I have been plagued for some time now by lack of sleep, and nerves that are raw with stress, woe, angst and doubt. The thought, sweet at that, of my mom and my spouse in their gift to me of a whole night with no child to care for, was for me to try and claim some of the sweet rest that has slipped my grasp night by night by night of late. It is my fond hope that I can rise, and do that well, close to dawn, and not tire (to the point that sleep takes me) through the day, so that on the next night, when the time comes to sleep, that sleep will come to me with more ease. (Plus, by that time I will have a new sleep aid that may work for me where some have failed.)

I will end this now, my friends, in the hopes of an hour or two of rest, if I can swing it. Here's to sweet sleep, calm nerves, fine kin, good dogs, fair friends of a like mind, and good plain words that serve us all well. Good night, all!

20 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the sleep - I suffer from insomia of the worst kind, sleep is precious, especially when you cannot get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm getting a scrip for Lunesta filled today, so maybe tonight will be better. I have now been up ALL NIGHT, and I'm not even tired yet. Probably about the time Bella gets home, I'll be exhausted! At least I didn't have to say this all in one-syllable words...try it sometime, it's hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this, I felt like I was transported into a scene from "The Village" and every word written was spoken aloud by William Hurt in the voice he used in that movie.

    Let me know how that Lunesta works!!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work. It is clear that you have done it. "Dared" and "plagued" may be a bit on the edge or the rules, but I wink at this. Well done. I clap for you.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Belinda, when someone dares you to do something you really rise to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try it, it's fun! (And if you're lucky, Ariel may wink at you!)
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Lisa, if you've movies on the mind, come and play in our "film festival"! Elizabeth added some good ones, and I have a few more that I want to put in. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While Good Night should be Goodnight in the context you are using it, I'm nitpicking. Very impressive job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my o my. that shit ton of words that can be said with one sound made my head hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job, Mom. I am rapt with glee at the thought that you could write a whole post with such plain words. You are quite a cool girl, me thinks.

    Oh, please share with us your thoughts on that drug you will start this night. I am hoping for a good sleep for you.

    Man, this IS hard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will, I actually considered that after I'd already posted it, but the knowledge that it could be repaired with the simple addition of "Have a" in front of "good night" soothed me.

    It is really a weird thing to try to do! I liked the poetic one best...I mean, how do you write about Robert Frost, your childhood, an abusive relationship, and regaining your sense of self, all in monosyllabic words? Impressive.

    I will advise of the results with the Lunesta. Mom has Bella again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also add applause to the effort of this post, BUT.....
    ;-) I must also nitpick on a few of the words that seem innocently single-syllable, but really aren't.
    While Ariel pointed out "dared" and "plagued,", they don't seem to me as much on the edge of the rules as one like "child," when spoken "normally," meaning without a southern accent, (ike I would say it.)(chi-uld) However, when spoken with a southern accent, it sounds more like "chaahld." Also "tire." In non-southern-ese it is spoken as "Ti-err." In southern-ese, it's more like "tahr." And finally, there's "hour." Non-southern - "oww-err." In southern, "ahr."
    I'm just glad that you didn't use the word "oil," because I have no idea how to spell that in Southern-ese. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A valid (and humorous) observation. BUT, all the words you cite are defined as single syllable words. Upon reflection, I've come to disagree with Will's assessment of "Good night", as well. I would write (and say) "goodbye", but not "goodnight".

    The closest I can come to a Southern phonetic of "oil" is..."uhl". And that's not exactly right, either.

    They say you can gauge your Southernness by your pronunciation of the phrase "mile-high pie". The "longer" and straighter the 'I' vowel, the more Southern you are. While those words are, technically, single syllable words, they are REALLY monosyllabic down here.

    We also add superfluous syllables where they are not warranted. This was driven home to Alex and I the first time we heard our two-year-old complain that she'd "bonked my HAY-ud" Yikes.

    In any case, I've decided to find it all charming. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And HEY, some a' y'all--you don't get to critique unless you participate! Whassup with that?

    And have you all read Erin's? I like it best of all...it did contain the word "longer", but it was a slip that could very easily have been fixed without changing the form or context one bit, so I didn't hold it against her. That thing of hers is just...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HEY, WILL!! Peep this, buddy--from Dictionary.com:

    "Top Web Results for "goodnight":

    No entry found for goodnight.
    Did you mean good night?

    Suggestions:
    good night
    good-night"

    In your sweet, cute, face, my luv.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, I refuse to do my reply in single syllables this time! (especially since "Erin" is 2 syllables!)

    The debate about the southern accent has me tickled, since I have the most Southern of drawls - had I thought about my accent while posting, I'd have never accomplished it!

    The fact that you were impressed enough with mine to mention it here is so sweet! Thanks for that. It honestly took 2 days to make that post!

    Dictionary.com says plagued is a single syllable by the way, dared too, but we won't tell Ariel and discourage further winks!

    So Lunesta works? I should try it - sleep seems like such a novel idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heh. Erin, Alex and I actually spent a few minutes looking up all the "Southern accent" words, and they are single-syllable words.

    2 days, huh? Well, that explains it--I did mine in about 30 minutes. No wonder yours was so good. Well, that and the, you know...talent!

    Lunesta and Ambien work well if you take them, and lie yourself down and no lights, books, computer or television, CLOSE YOUR EYES AND GO TO SLEEP. Alex and I are both bad about taking sleep aids and then reading/movie watching and expecting the pill to just kick in and knock us out. Don't work thatta way. You can absolutely take it and then keep yourself awake long enough to miss your window of opportunity for the medicine to work best. Doctors are excited about Lunesta because they did studies where people took it for a year and it was not addictive. My psychiatrist says Ambien is much the same, there just wasn't that kind of research done on it...but YMMV.

    Um, does anyone else ever giggle when your "verification word" is something that *almost* sounds like a word? Like "sneep"?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog is interesting.If you're interested in cyclobenzaprine Just in case, you’re interested, you can click cyclobenzaprine-online

    ReplyDelete