Friday, September 16, 2005

A Couple Of Things That Warm Me A Bit

First, this terrified standard poodle that was photographed days ago in New Orleans, struggling to stay alive,has been rescued and is being cared for until she can be reunited with her owner. I hope that's soon. I know about a dozen poodle people from all corners of the country who were ready to go get that dog when that AP photo was published. People actually tracked the dog down by running down the AP photographer who took the picture. We know her now as "AS2". And then this, which I saw posted on a poodle list. T. Boone Pickens, described in news reports as an "oil tycoon" is devoting his private plane to the transport of some of Katrina's pet victims. It is reported that he will keep making these runs as long as there is a need. I love that these dogs just look so happy, like they're going for a great car ride!
This photo is from the Baltimore Sun, and is, I'm assuming, an AP photo.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the good news.

    Not sure if I want to fly with a plane full of dogs - all wanting to stick their head out the window :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the sweetest pic. I'm so glad someone is using their money & power to save the doggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stole this picture from you. I just LOVE knowing that some really rich guy is willing to lend his airplane to save the doggies. Did he save the kitties, too? And what about the horseys and donkeys?

    We're getting 2 rescue puppies tomorrow to foster. They are tiny spaniel puppies and they weigh about 1.3 lbs each. Should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, how exciting! So with puppies that small, I don't suppose finding the owners is an issue?

    The article about the plane rides said "pets", so I'm not sure what all that included.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those puppies on a plane photo is SO CUTE I COULD PEE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, sheesh, Jen...go ahead! Do I have to tell you everything? You have a permanent bathroom pass from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New puppies are a riot. They are literally about the size of gerbils. We named them Itchy and Scratchy. They have worms (blech) and don't seem to be particularly healthy. Just keeping them warm is a big job. But they are FREE and rescued and that's the best thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow--even Mini Poodle puppies at birth are bigger than gerbils! It sounds like you're going to be able to take really good care of them. Thank you from me, for YOUR mitzvah.

    ReplyDelete