Thursday, August 25, 2005

A Poodle's Obsession, And No Night At The Opera

Alex--this is what happens while you're away, apparently. Your lovesick standard poodle gloms onto anything that smells remotely of her true love, and just pines until 5:00, when she begins her tense, standing-at-attention-trembling vigil at the window watching the driveway for your truck. You may have other dogs in your life, but I don't think you will ever know the level of canine devotion to you and only you that is Delta.
Yup, that's your pillow, your spot in the bed. (Bella tried to cover her up with the monkey blanket, but she wasn't having it.) I've also caught her carrying around your previously-worn t-shirts and sleeping in your recliner. I'm telling you, this borders on unhealthy...the first sign of her trying to bump me off so she has no competition for your affection, there's gonna be trouble.

And speaking of poodles, we just accidentally discovered last night while blog-browsing, that there is a law on the books in Chicago that it is illegal to take a "French" poodle to the opera. (We could go off on a whole tangent here about how poodles are NOT French, but rather of German and possibly Russian derivation, but we won't. Besides, we just did.)


Anyway, the girls, Gabby (silver, pictured) and Hope (black, pictured) are just sooo disappointed. See how they are all dressed up with no place to go? Gabby actually won a major at the Chicago cluster this year, and I promised them all that if J.T. does that show next year, I'd treat them all to bullystix and a night at the opera. Well, now that's shot. Darn. I wonder if I could get them in on the argument that they're not actually FRENCH poodles, but rather AMERICAN poodles, or "FREEDOM" poodles, if it pleases the Bush administration. In any case, I'm going to be checking the local laws about just what cultural events poodles are allowed to attend around here. My girls actually prefer ballet music, especially "Swan Lake" and "The Sleeping Beauty". It's too soon to tell about J.T., though I suspect he is a hip-hop fan, and Reggie, well, he just likes the kind of music that doesn't wake him up.

2 comments:

  1. Funny how animals can get attached to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE the standard poodle. They have a calm intelligence about them that no other breed has. They are truly gorgeous! =)
    Oh, and by the way I appreciate the apology...I never did hear from that woman. I've got half a mind to call her and demand just what I could do differently...but that would be stupid and childish...Jenelle

    ReplyDelete