Sunday, August 28, 2005

If I Had My Little Way...*

Midnight. Husband and I snug in bed, sleeping medications having been administered. Daughter is spending the night with my mother. All is peaceful. Then:

Alex: "What can you fix me to eat?"

Me: "Are you serious? You know we didn't go to the grocery store today like we were supposed to."

Alex: "There's got to be something. I just thought you might be able to come up with something."

Me: "I think there are some single-serving size cans of peach slices. Do you want me to get you some peaches?"

Alex: (Pay special attention to this part) "Yes, get me some peaches."

I get out of bed, go to the kitchen, get a pop-top can of peach slices and a spoon. I bring them back and present them to still-in-bed husband.Then:

Alex: (Tossing peaches aside) "I don't want peaches."

Me: (Staring blankly at him for a moment) "Then WHY did you make me go and get them for you?"


Wait for it...


Alex: "I figured you might get to looking around in there and find something better."

Even I didn't see that one coming. Apparently the sleep-aid Lunesta, while not really making you fall asleep right away, makes you do bizarre things like ask for peaches you don't want. If it happens again, I'm reporting it to the manufacturer as a side-effect.






*I'd eat peaches every day; sun-soakin' bulges in the shade...

3 comments:

  1. You think the Lunesta made him say crazy things?? Oh, my poor disillusioned Belinda . . . . YOUR HUSBAND IS A KOOK! Haven't you noticed? Gotta love him.

    11:05 PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belinda! how funny i remember listening to the presidents of the united states of america with you! What memories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! You win the Obscure Musical Reference contest (I kinda thought putting the actual ALBUM COVER on the post would help, but so far you and Andrea are the only ones who clued in)! Well, Alex knew, of course, but he's the one who was asking for peaches he didn't really want, and he probably blames that song.

    ReplyDelete