Saturday, August 20, 2005

I Know Him So Well...It's Frightening


Just this minute, this happened. Observe how I am expected to be, first, a human encyclopedia, and second, psychic, where my husband is involved.

Alex: (Whistles "Jurassic Park" theme.) " Who's that guy that wrote all that music?"

Me: "You're thinking of John Williams, but I'm not 100% sure he was the Jurassic Park composer." (note--he was.)

Alex: "Yeah, but I was thinking of "Indiana Jones." You shoulda known that."

Me: (Incredulously) You were thinking of "Indiana Jones" (I hum the beginning of the "Indiana Jones" theme), but you were WHISTLING the "Jurassic Park" theme. (I hum the beginning of the "Jurassic Park" theme) And I'm supposed to know what you mean inside your head."

Alex: "Yes. You're smart like that. Google "Jurassic Park" and see who did the music."

Me: "I'm pretty sure it was Williams, just not 100%....there it is. John Williams."

Alex: " See? I told you so."

Me: "YOU DID NOT!" (Lets out the 4,789,542nd exasperated sigh of my marriage.)

Alex: "You married me."

Touche'.

6 comments:

  1. This is totally a guy thing. We women are suppose to know it all. I'm so glad for Google. It definitely helps to end little quarrels quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you also a human 411, the repository for all phone numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that totally sounds like my fiance! we always argue about movies and music. i'll admit, he usually wins, but that's because i'm tired of the "yes-huh!", "no-huh!" bickering so i just give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex's M.O. is usually to argue and argue, until I look it up. Then when I SHOW him proof of my position, he says, "See? I told you!" Pretending that MY position in the argument was HIS all along. Grrrrrrrr. But I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that it all stems from our relationships with our mother. She was the all knowing all seeing being in our life therefore when a man gets married to a woman he expects the same will be true of his wife. I think its the Oedipus complex that starts it all.

    Although if you really want to throw things in the mix. Try being a man who is dating a man. You should hear those arguments. HE HE!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, thanks. I can only imagine the circular logic and declarations of "I don't want to talk about it."

    ReplyDelete