Monday, August 22, 2005

How Conflicted Am I?

How liberal am I? A lot more than I thought, even. But really, it's not the greatest test, because many of the questions are not black/white issues, and I had feelings on both sides most of the time. I think the 0% conservative on crime was because I'm against capital punishment. Yes, I think prisoners should be protected against sodomy and the like, but I think prison should be punishment. But at the same time, I don't feel it's our place to kill people. So those values are definitely off. But mandatory sentencing? Seriously, that blows. And for the abortion question, they lumped in "discouraged" with "illegal". Now, I ask you--is discouraging something the same thing as making it illegal? And personally, abortion? Well, I'm agin' it. BUT that does not mean that I believe it should be illegal under any and all circumstances and criminalized. I don't think a minor ought to be able to have one without parental consent, for sure. Gay marriage? I seriously do not get why I, as a married heterosexual, am supposed to be threatened by this. They deserve the same rights when it comes to things like medical decisions, legal matters, etc., (not to mention just plain RESPECT as fellow humans) that the rest of us have. If they called it something besides "marriage", would that be OK? Less scary? Most of the "religious" (note I don't use the term "Christian", because there's definitely a difference) people I know have condemned homosexuals to hell already, so what's a little more fuel for the fire, in their minds? And for the question about what's wrong with the U.S. justice system? Um, BOTH answers were correct, in my book. Iraq? A war built on a lie, that we can't get out of, and more of our youth die every day. The more time goes by, the more people seem to be accepting the fallacy that September 11 was connected to Iraq. And that our troops (who absolutely ARE brave and noble) are somehow protecting us...but against what? Latest estimate is that we'll be out of Iraq by 2009...that's a long, long way from the day that "Mission Accomplished!" was announced. Go ahead and give the test a look yourself--you'll see what I mean.


Belinda--all about shades of gray, don'tcha know?
Try being a Christian, (Southern Baptist, no less), left-leaning female in the South, who doesn't buy into the Cheney/Rove/Rumsfeld fantasy, and see if you're not conflicted! Greenspan for President, I say. And Billy Graham for V.P. There. Confused?


Your Political Profile



Overall: 20% Conservative, 80% Liberal

Social Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Fiscal Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Ethics: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal


And here's Hubby's, which is REALLY surprising to me, since I'm usually the apologist for our conservative friends and family, and able to see both sides of almost any issue...but he agrees with me that it is a very flawed test.









Your Political Profile



Overall: 40% Conservative, 60% Liberal

Social Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

Fiscal Issues: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal

Ethics: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal


4 comments:

  1. Good for you for swimming against the stream, ma petite salmon. It must be quadruply difficult in your environment, but MORE POWER to you.

    Erm, I have nothing to add, this is one of those substance-free admirer posts.

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  2. However scary this is as a gay man in the south I am not too far from sharing almost your exact political profile. overall I am 25% conservative and 75% liberal to your 20/80. I totally agree with everything that you said in your blog. In this day and age when even the political figures are confused, (Pat Robertson, lets take out the Venezuelan President????) I think that its difficult sometimes to find even a solid middle ground. Hopefully, as I get older it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone! I, too, am a Christian (Presbyterian - PCA) who votes Democratic more often that not. And I'm in the South... Alabama.

    What can I say? I'm with you!

    Anne www.tinykingdom.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallelujah! And Alabama? I can only imagine that that is a little worse than I have it. Bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete