Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Crapes Are On My Nerves


Yes, I know they're pretty. They're really pretty. They just...annoy me. Something about how they're so wild and sprawly, and just grow new limbs at the drop of a hat. Maybe I'm too repressed to truly appreciate the unkempt splendor of the crape myrtle--I do tend to gravitate more toward the neat beauty of, say, a shapely, compact, polite Bradford Pear tree. Maybe it's the noise the particular trees pictured make while scraping the top and side of my truck as I drive up or down the driveway. I can hear the paint coming off, I swear. Maybe it's the fact that I always forget to prune them in February, when you're supposed to, so that now, when their limbs are pendulous with blooms, they are gradually debriding the finish from my vehicle. They're a pain in the butt to mow around, too, but since I've abandoned all lawncare responsibilities to Alex since marrying him, I suppose it's his place to complain about that...which he doesn't. Dang. But they are pretty, aren't they?

2 comments:

  1. Bradford Pears are lovely with their symmetrical shape, but they also have a really annoying habit of splitting in half during storms. Or just because they've gotten too big.

    And the crape myrtles *are* really pretty. Really.

    Karen (with Sophie & Neo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And do they ATTRACT lightning? The Bradford pear tree in my front yard has been hit no less than 3 times. The last time, it did split in half down to the trunk. Alex wants to get rid of it, as it is an eyesore, but darn it, it still has some pitiful little green leaves growing on what's left!

    ReplyDelete